Pingplotter tutorial ?

Hi yall, I have noticed an ever increasing list of people having issues with there online gaming and in particular Black Ops 3.

I have myself had issues and would swear to god it was the damn game and it's lag compensation that was causing me all my problems. (sound familiar)

After doing some long term tests at peak times and over several days using pingplotter it appeared that the game was not at fault.

With the help of Zennon and a few other clever members on this forum we traced the issue to the vdsl plate on the box into my house.

As soon as this was replaced my problems went away, Shame It didn't improve my aim lol.

So I thought that maybe putting a basic sticky tutorial somewhere showing people how to use Pingplotter and how to interpret the results might be a useful thread.

So many people , myself included are totally sure that there connection is "FINE" that this could prove to them that it is, or it isn't.

It would also enable the people who give advice hear to eliminate many of the questions that they ask before wading in to help.

Maybe add in the support section that people should add a screen capture of pingplotter result.

Just a thought as this would have saved me weeks of frustration so I am sure it will also help others.

I thought I'd give Pingplotter another whirl since it's been awhile since I last played with the app. I was immediately dumbstruck by the 260ms average ping from my R1 to the modem. They're joined by a 1m Cat6 cable so it looked a bit odd.

After rebooting the modem, the ping started out at 15ms or so, but soon enough, spiked back over 330ms.

I jumped into the NetDuma to review the Congestion Control settings. Both Up and Down were set to 100%. Dragging the Up speed down to 70% saw the ping drop straight down to 10ms. Fuck a duck. I need no further proof that the R1's CC does as advertised.

I normally game at 80/60 for an A+ BB rating, but switch CC back to 100/100 when I'm not. I won't be doing that again. It turned out the online backup app running in the background of my Mac was the cause, seemingly flooding my modem with packets. Switch CC  to 70/70 and the crazy high pings stop dead.

A Pingplotter tut would definitely be handy. In the meantime, this page at Pingplotter is a useful reference - https://www.pingplotter.com/commonnetworkproblems/

This is a fantastic idea!  I would love to see a tutorial, and some basic explanations, to help assist new users.  This is right at the edge of my comfort zone though, so I will not be volunteering for more than to help put it together if needed.

I'd love a detailed app running via the R1 in fw 2.0.0 that works much like PP instead.

This would be unbelievably cool and a HUGE asset when we get brand new users who expect to suddenly turn into "MLG Pro-to-the-World" by buying the router.  This would help with diagnosis by the Duma community, as we would have a reference guide, and the posters who have issues would be able to take screen shots right from the Duma UI.

This would be unbelievably cool and a HUGE asset when we get brand new users who expect to suddenly turn into "MLG Pro-to-the-World" by buying the router.  This would help with diagnosis by the Duma community, as we would have a reference guide, and the posters who have issues would be able to take screen shots right from the Duma UI.

Agreed that would be a pretty sick feature and IMO very useful to everyone who visit's the forum and has questions regarding it and how it works.

Archived