Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Preliminary Lag Compensation Experiment Findings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,592 posts

Hey all, want to firstly thank everyone who took part in this experiment towards the end of February. 

We will be releasing a video on lag comp as soon as we've done our next myth buster. 

I know you guys have been asking about it so in the mean time here are some of the findings:

Playing with added Jitter - When playing with jitter it is much harder to kill a player. 

Playing with added Latency - Your deaths are vastly increased.

Being Host - There is definitely the phenomenon of "host advantage" as hosts perform better than non player hosts.

There's a lot more analysis coming: packet loss, confidence etc and a lot more to come. You'll have to wait for the video.

This may or may not confirm thoughts you've all had about it so far. It takes a lot of time to analyse the results & we'll be doing a much bigger reveal/analysis in the 3rd network myths video but just wanted to get something out for you guys. 

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

toby jugs

toby jugs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

i'd have been a bit perplexed if the findings didn't show a host advantage tbh after playing hundreds of games p2p on aw it was quite obvious to me.

plenty of people on acti's forum will deny this is a thing all the same lol.

looking forward to the full sp.

thanks fraser.

Victor-Yout

Victor-Yout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

i really hope there were tests about bandwidth speed as i am 99,99 % sure its the reason for lag comp (in cod). when someone in my lobby stands out due to his lag comp advantages i always ask him about his bandwidth and the answer is 90% low speeds. its gone that far in bo3 that i can distinguish between 3k and 16k (3k,16k,50 and 100 are the common speeds in my country). so pleaseee are test about that.

talbyfish

talbyfish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

i believe host advantage holps me loads

kritikal

kritikal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Playing with added Jitter - When playing with jitter it is much harder to kill a player. 

Kill another player or be killed?

hyperj123

hyperj123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Hey all, want to firstly thank everyone who took part in this experiment towards the end of February. 

We will be releasing a video on lag comp as soon as we've done our next myth buster. 

I know you guys have been asking about it so in the mean time here are some of the findings:

Playing with added Latency - Your deaths are vastly increased.

Being Host - There is definitely the phenomenon of "host advantage" as hosts perform better than non player hosts.

There's a lot more analysis coming: packet loss, confidence etc and a lot more to come. You'll have to wait for the video.

This may or may not confirm thoughts you've all had about it so far. It takes a lot of time to analyse the results & we'll be doing a much bigger reveal/analysis in the 3rd network myths video but just wanted to get something out for you guys. 

Hey Fraser,

So I found something interesting while playing with my duma. As I started getting better I noticed I was being matched up with players more around my Score Per Minute. What really made me believe was my first game I was playing with someone and we both absolutely went crazy on the other team (I went 46-9 he went 53-7). Next game around he "randomly" appeared on the other team and as a result the game went for longer and my team won 100-95. This was of course on Black Ops III. Seeing this I decided to turn off my profile and switch it to non gaming and run some torrents while live streaming. I then realized my score per minute not only went up but I was winning gun fights I clearly shouldn't have won. From there I believe especially on BO3 that lag compensation trumps SBMM. 

7253468875.png

Madman

Madman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
I've been playing BO3 Game Battles and every time I host I get insta-melted. I'm not sure if I believe the host advantage deal or not :(

rz4jarrg207r4au4g.jpg

YOUTUBE CHANNEL:Twisted Company

TWITTER: Twist3dCo

TheGreatDansby

TheGreatDansby

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

I hosted my group and I could honestly say I did not experience any advantage. People were actually laughing and telling me that they shot me around walls. But you have all my footage as well. Lol

Od1n

Od1n

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

very interesting infos Fraser, cannot wait to see the video! :)

A7Legit

A7Legit

#DatHitDetection

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
Will be good to see the video, there's plenty to learn from it I'm sure. :)

The anti-jitter algorithm when it releases, will hopefully make BO3 even more consistent (90% now).

Edit: Deleted what I do and know, sorry folks, blame those who ruined it for you.
Don't PM me about it either please, any PM's about it will be ignored.

Cheers.

Od1n

Od1n

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

yeah anti-jitter will be the next big thing for sure! :)

AnnonymouS

AnnonymouS

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
Hope to see that come out very soon. It has be some time since the last up date.

Zennon

Zennon

• Administrators
  • 6,857 posts

I am lucky to have no jitter on my line.

I have played in the USA at 100ms and more and a friend of mine has played with me from the usa on the Irish server with no detriment.

I have used net emulators to add latency and with bops 3 there is no difference if I add latency

With older titles there is an issue

I am a truthful fella and i wont lie.

Bops 3 lag comp is perfect i find older titles not so.

If people find bops 3 lag comp to be off look at you ISP's jitter before you blame the game.

II MAZE II

II MAZE II

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

I have played in the USA at 100ms and more and a friend of mine has played with me from the usa on the Irish server with no detriment.

I have used net emulators to add latency and with bops 3 there is no difference if I add latency

If people find bops 3 lag comp to be off look at you ISP's jitter before you blame the game.

And jitter in another term is bufferbloat? Or different? To correct jitter one would need to adjust CC settings, while checking dslreport and/or ping plotter? Unless it's shoty ISP lines?

I seem to average around 80ms game from Hawaii. So is there a new feature coming to the R1 anti-jitter?

Od1n

Od1n

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

And jitter in another term is bufferbloat? Or different? To correct jitter one would need to adjust CC settings, while checking dslreport and/or ping plotter? Unless it's shoty ISP lines?

I seem to average around 80ms game from Hawaii. So is there a new feature coming to the R1 anti-jitter?

network jitter has two sources, the first one is your own line with things such as bufferbloat what you have mentioned already

the second one is the hosts connection, so outside of your own network

anti jitter will tackle both of these sources at the same time

your network jitter will be gone because of Iains new congestion mechanic which makes it possible to have a maximum jitter of 5ms even when you max out your entire bandwidth

so reducing your connection via congestion control will no longer be needed

the jitter coming from the hosts network will be smoothed out by raising your ping whenever its needed to guarantee minimum jitter

that is how Iain described it a while ago

not sure though if the jitter from the hosts connection will also be realized since Fraser once mentioned potential legal issues with the nextwork agreements on the console platforms. would be nice to hear a statement from Netduma about this as having both in one feature would be awesome, it would probably be the biggest selling feature together with the geo-filter

A7Legit

A7Legit

#DatHitDetection

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

@Od1n

This is why I hope fw 2.0.0 does at least help control/lower jitter on our end in the very least.

Dampening serverside would be icing on the cake. Instead of it being a tick box feature, I'd rather it implemented into another algorithm if I had a say on the matter.

I agree that jitter on one's own line is more important than jitter on a dedicated server for example because everybody connecting to that dedicated server, more or less, will have the same/similar line deviation connecting to it.

Zennon

Zennon

• Administrators
  • 6,857 posts
I agree that jitter on one's own line is more important than jitter on a dedicated server for example because everybody connecting to that dedicated server, more or less, will have the same/similar line deviation connecting to it.

I think I have been lucky sticking with Xbox as their servers are much better than Activisions going by the reports from users here, but i do not know the state of their ISP's jitter when they make these claims though.

Alex49H

Alex49H

Netduma Cheerleader

• Clubhouse Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

network jitter has two sources, the first one is your own line with things such as bufferbloat what you have mentioned already

the second one is the hosts connection, so outside of your own network

anti jitter will tackle both of these sources at the same time

your network jitter will be gone because of Iains new congestion mechanic which makes it possible to have a maximum jitter of 5ms even when you max out your entire bandwidth

so reducing your connection via congestion control will no longer be needed

the jitter coming from the hosts network will be smoothed out by raising your ping whenever its needed to guarantee minimum jitter

that is how Iain described it a while ago

not sure though if the jitter from the hosts connection will also be realized since Fraser once mentioned potential legal issues with the nextwork agreements on the console platforms. would be nice to hear a statement from Netduma about this as having both in one feature would be awesome, it would probably be the biggest selling feature together with the geo-filter

This is something that I am DEFINTELY looking forward too, to eliminate or decrease that jitter on my line!

Alex49H

TEH BUTCHER

TEH BUTCHER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Same BLOPS3 is pretty straightforward for me low ping game I do well high ping game I don't.

fuzzy clam

fuzzy clam

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,934 posts

I'm looking forward to the full results also,to see exactly what will make it better or worse and "what" if anything we can do to improve our own situations with the game.

frustrated I just got a new NETDUMA, and I can't connect, how do I get the password for the Wi-Fi

:P