BT set up

Kindly had a message from Ian to post here about my cant connect to internet issue.

Hi Ian adam

My set up is wired from the wall to openreach modem then into bt homehub i removed the bt homehub and replaced it with the netduma R1 with ehernet cable set up to modem port 1 to netduma pppoe port then ethernet cable to pc in one of the other ports.

Should i also have the homehub connected with the netduma router also?

Jez

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kindly had a message from Ian to post here about my cant connect to internet issue.

Hi Ian adam

My set up is wired from the wall to openreach modem then into bt homehub i removed the bt homehub and replaced it with the netduma R1 with ehernet cable set up to modem port 1 to netduma pppoe port then ethernet cable to pc in one of the other ports.

Should i also have the homehub connected with the netduma router also?

Jez

Hi there,

Sorry could I just clarify a few points ,as I haven't spoken to Iain about this. Think I know what the problem might be here.

I'm assuming you are on BT right?

The R1 must be connected to lan port 1 on the open reach modem.

Is it possible to connect your pc directly to the open reach modem and test that you have net access for me please?

If it doesn't could you then try this set up..

Modem connected to home hub as usual, then connect the home hub to the R1 then connect pc to the r1 and check net access again.

Adam yeah thats how i have it set up modem then to the R1 in pppoe port but keep getting dns error it's fine when i go back to homehub i'll try your last suggestion when i get home later i'm sure it's one those easy solve gremlins.

Adam yeah thats how i have it set up modem then to the R1 in pppoe port but keep getting dns error it's fine when i go back to homehub i'll try your last suggestion when i get home later i'm sure it's one those easy solve gremlins.

Ah you never mentioned the dns error, pretty sure it's an easy gremlin issue .

When you get home hit me us up on twitter and we'll help you here.

I also had problems setting up with BT Openreach modem. I connected everything as per instructions but I had no connection.

I connected my modem directly to my laptop and still had no connection, the only way I could get the modem to give a connection to my laptop was to create a new PPPoE connection in the Network and Sharing centre.

I then tried this method with the R1 connected to the modem but it would not give me a connection.

I plugged my previous router (Netgear Nighthawk) into the modem and connected the R1 to the Nighthawk an got a connection straight away.

Do I have to turn off any settings on the Nighthawk or do I just leave everything as it is?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi,

Thanks for purchasing. Do you have skype? If so I've pm'd you my address. We can hopefully fix the issue quicker that way.

I also had problems setting up with BT Openreach modem. I connected everything as per instructions but I had no connection.

I connected my modem directly to my laptop and still had no connection' date=' the only way I could get the modem to give a connection to my laptop was to create a new PPPoE connection in the Network and Sharing centre.

I then tried this method with the R1 connected to the modem but it would not give me a connection.

I plugged my previous router (Netgear Nighthawk) into the modem and connected the R1 to the Nighthawk an got a connection straight away.

Do I have to turn off any settings on the Nighthawk or do I just leave everything as it is?

[/quote']

Quick question when you first got your nighthawk do you remember if you added your bt login details to it?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Iain' date='

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have skype I'm afraid

[/quote']

Ok cool, could you do the following please:

1) Could you connect your BT homehub into the wall

2) Connect an ethernet cable directly from homehub to your computer please

Then take a picture, if you can and upload here.

Yes I added my BT login to the nighthawk when I first got it.

I don't actually have a BT Homehub anymore. I only have the openreach modem & the nighthawk.

This was my first thought why i wasn't getting a connection as ive had to put in bt user and password into my homehub and asus router's i couldnt find that feature in the R1 settings.

Just a thought?

Guest Netduma_Iain

I'll let Adam handle this issue now as he has experience with it. There is a simple temporary fix that requires going through your existing router.

We didn't add pppoe support to the router because to be honest we didn't think any ISPs did that. It seems BT is the exception, so I will try get that in the next patch so you can bypass your intermediate router(for pollution that is his nighthawk and for sncjez I think its his openreach modem).

I've added to this thread: http://forum.netduma.com/thread-13.html

PollutionBlues and Sncjez  would i be right in assuming neither of you got given homehubs 5 correct?

If this is the case we know exactly what the issue is .

I'm currently on an asus rt router i have a homehub3 somewhere.

PollutionBlues and Sncjez  would i be right in assuming neither of you got given homehubs 5 correct?

If this is the case we know exactly what the issue is .

I'm currently on an asus rt router i have only a homehub3 somewhere.

BT Home Hub 5 here and up and running. Had few issues where it just seemed to take time to allow Internet access to PC and Xbox one.

Strangely iOS devices were online straight away. Now xbox is back to moderate NAT as was it was in DMZ on Home Hub 5 so need to figure easiest way to sort that.

Also DOS pings won't work over wi-fi but do when connected via LAN to R1. I love networking :)

Ok so as Iain said we're are going to add PPPOe support , I do have to hold my hands up here I went through every scenario I could think of in set up and this one slipped past me as I forgot that the homehubs pre HH5 didn't come with a built in VDSL modem. So you needed to have a modem as well.

Until our patch comes out with PPPoE support , you will need to connect like this,

Modem -> Homehub/ (or own existing router) -> R1

As you will need the homehub/existing router for the PPPoE to connect online.

We can only apologise for this over sight and will get it sorted asap.

BT Home Hub 5 here and up and running. Had few issues where it just seemed to take time to allow Internet access to PC and Xbox one.

Strangely iOS devices were online straight away. Now xbox is back to moderate NAT as was it was in DMZ on Home Hub 5 so need to figure easiest way to sort that.

Also DOS pings won't work over wi-fi but do when connected via LAN to R1. I love networking :)

Hi buds,

would you mind starting a new thread for this please?

Ok so as Iain said we're are going to add PPPOe support ' date=' I do have to hold my hands up here I went through every scenario I could think of in set up and this one slipped past me as I forgot that the homehubs pre HH5 didn't come with a built in VDSL modem. So you needed to have a modem as well.

Until our patch comes out with PPPoE support , you will need to connect  like this,

[/quote']

Ok this is still turning out to be PITA for me with my current set up from my previous post i can now connect to the internet with this set up above but now when i type in 192.168.88.1 i get a regular web page unavailable for the set up?

Got a feeling this wont work for me until PPPoe is fully supported with the openreach modem.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok so as Iain said we're are going to add PPPOe support ' date=' I do have to hold my hands up here I went through every scenario I could think of in set up and this one slipped past me as I forgot that the homehubs pre HH5 didn't come with a built in VDSL modem. So you needed to have a modem as well.

Until our patch comes out with PPPoE support , you will need to connect  like this,

[/quote']

Ok this is still turning out to be PITA for me with my current set up from my previous post i can now connect to the internet with this set up above but now when i type in 192.168.88.1 i get a regular web page unavailable for the set up?

Got a feeling this wont work for me until PPPoe is fully supported with the openreach modem.

Hi,

Really sorry about the issues you're having. I think Adam is away at the moment. So I'll try help out. If you've got the set up above it sounds like in theory it should work. Are you connected using wireless? If so are you connecting to the homehubs wireless instead of the R1s. That could explain the page not loading.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi sncjez, I've written the pppoe patch and have got it working with pollutions. Can I personally send you the patch so you can get started? PM the best way to contact you, personally I'd prefer skype as its quicker but whatever works for you.

Archived