DHCP lease suggestion

It would be nice to be able to add a MAC address, name and host number manually instead having to wait for the device to hit the network to then change it.

For instance, my second wifi router will not show up since I factory reset the netduma. The wifi router still has the original IP address I leased to it before he factory reset but would like to lock it in again.

Would this be possible?

I have three routers total. Verizon ONT> Netduma (dhcp&wifi) > Actiontec > netgear r6300(wifi)

The Actiontec shows up but the r6300 doesn't but still has the original dhcp lease I applied before Duma factory reset.

I have also rebooted the r6300. The reason I know it still has the right ip is because I can type the ip in to log in.

I'll check tonight when I get home. Maybe it's picked it up by now.

Edit: still not showing up. It's not a pressing issue right now so I'll just monitor this situation as I go along.

Still, the ability to apply a dchp lease manually before the device even hits the network would be great. Thank you Netduma Fraser

It doesn't appear in DHCP lease at all? 

That's a good suggestion :)

I have a theory as to why the Netgear is not appearing and before I go testing the theory I'll wait for your input.

My DCHP range is set from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254.  When I create static IP addresses I keep them outside of this range thus my Netgear is set to 192.168.1.2.  I'm willing to bet that because that IP does not fall into the range of the router that some type of bug is not allowing it to show within connected devices.

I'd like to test this theory by lets say applying 192.168.1.2 to another device that's already recognized by the router then turn off the netgear so the new device can grab the new ip.  Then turn the netgear back on and see if it grabs a new ip from the Netduma dchp range thus allowing it to appear.

Thoughts?

• Administrators

If the Actiontec is in NAT mode it will treat it like one device and the Actiontec you're seeing on device prioritisation will be both Actiontec & Netgear. 

If Actiontec was in AP mode you may be able to see the devices behind it. 

You can try that as well but I think this is what is causing it. Do you necessarily need 3 routers? 

If the Actiontec is in NAT mode it will treat it like one device and the Actiontec you're seeing on device prioritisation will be both Actiontec & Netgear. 

If Actiontec was in AP mode you may be able to see the devices behind it. 

You can try that as well but I think this is what is causing it. Do you necessarily need 3 routers?

I will definitely check that. The Actiontec has a lot going on.

I have the Actiontec for the coax for tv and it is located next to the Verizon ONT. I have an Ethernet connection from the ONT to the netduma in my basement so the Duma is the first router.

Then an Ethernet from the Duma back to the Actiontec so that can act as a switch in my utility room. I have my home automation in the same box as the Actiontec so I need Internet there.

Then an Ethernet run to the next level upstairs to the r6300 for wifi to the first, second floors and the attic. Thus the three routers.

Keep us updated.

That makes sense, could you not use the Actiontec for wifi or is it not that strong? Perhaps could look at wifi extenders

The Actiontec is in the concrete walled basement, in a metal utility box at the far most part of a corner in my house. It would be useless as wifi. Plus it's next to the room with the Duma which does have wifi on.

Wifi extenders not needed at this point. Get wifi in the entire house with or without the Duma. Just not seeing the wifi router at the Duma. I may just leave it for now. Everything is working. If it becomes an issue I'll figure it out.

Hey jsp0511, I have Verizon Fios 150/150 i was wondering what speeds you have and also do you have fios tv? If so how did you get the Netduma to be the primary router and have on demand to work? I really want to Netduma to be first but i cannot get the on demand part to work through the actiontec if i have it set up on reactive instead of preemptive algorithm.

Hey jsp0511, I have Verizon Fios 150/150 i was wondering what speeds you have and also do you have fios tv? If so how did you get the Netduma to be the primary router and have on demand to work? I really want to Netduma to be first but i cannot get the on demand part to work through the actiontec if i have it set up on reactive instead of preemptive algorithm.

I have 75/75 and I do have fios TV.  Your VZ ONT has both a coax and an ethernet port on it.  When VZ installed the ONT and your router, they used either the coax alone or both the other to go from the ONT to the router.  You need to first determine how yours is set up.  If ethernet is not being used, you simply call VZ and tell them that you want to go from the ONT to your router via ethernet.  They should make that happen without any questions.

Once this is setup, you then run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the fios routers WAN port.  Once you confirm that everything is back to working normally, you can then start swapping the routers around.  I changed the vz router temporarily to 192.168.2.1 and changed the netduma from 192.168.88.1 to 192.168.1.1.  I also turned DHCP off on the vz router.  You want just one router assigning IP addresses.  I then unplugged the vz router so it had no power.  Then run the ethernet from the ONT to the netdumas WAN, also while the netduma is powered down.

Here is where I can't give you an exact answer.  Once I powered the netduma back up, I had to leave my house to help a friend with something so I don't know if it worked immediately after powering up or if it took some time to kick in but when I came home an hour later, the netduma had an outside IP (sorry, don't know the technical term) from VZ.

After this, I may have deactivated a few more settings within the vz router.  I basically have it acting as a switch.  I want it doing nothing else as far as the internet is concerned.  You will still need the coax cable from the ONT to th vz router.  That's how you keep the tv working.  At this point you should see everything on the network (that is powered on) through the netduma.  I would then log back into the vz router and change the IP assign to auto I believe.  This way, you can assign it's ip through the netduma.  I now have it as 192.168.1.4.  my netgear is 2 and my home automation is 3. PS4 is 18 and so on.

This should get you started.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Archived