WIFI drops?

Since the Netduma is in place I have some WIFI drops using airvideo. I am not sure at all it is Netduma and I am putting this up if someone has this also. The Wifi is running over a wired extender to another room having the same Wifi network name.

This works nicely for years. The sudden drops, meaning the video will freeze and I have to restart airvideo, are stange.

hey roads,

Please answer the below questions:

1. Is the extender setup with the same SSID? You said yes above.

2. Is the extender setup with the same security method? WPA2(TKIP/AES)

3. You have a mac i believe...to test your network signal strength simply hold alt/option and click the WiFi symbol at the top, this will literally show you the signal strength.

If the above are all right you will need the netduma guys since this isn't 100% the same as what i'm used to.

Thanks for helping abc

1. yes

2. the extender was on WPA+WPA2 I changed it to WPA2 only. The Netduma is WPA-PSK2

3. The mac is wired with Wifi disabled. It’s the Netduma that does the Wifi. Also keep in mind the extender is wired and has a static IP. Its wired to the room where the reception is taking place so its full bars on the Iphone/Ipad.

Thanks for helping abc

1. yes

2. the extender was on WPA+WPA2 I changed it to WPA2 only. The Netduma is WPA-PSK2

3. The mac is wired with Wifi disabled. It’s the Netduma that does the Wifi. Also keep in mind the extender is wired and has a static IP. Its wired to the room where the reception is taking place so its full bars on the Iphone/Ipad.

Don't you have a macbook?

If you don't not a huge deal there are iOS apps that show WiFi signal strength, basically your wifi is the issue it sounds like...

It could be a couple of things, most likely it is the extender and the device switching.  If this is the case we can figure it out pretty easily.

Connect to your WiFi then simply check the signal and see if it goes from low as you move into the dead zone to high as you get to the extender...

finally

Finally, I've also discovered that, with some extenders, you have to configure the extender close to the router before you can position it where you want.
taken from http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427010,00.asp

Guest Netduma_Iain

I've noticed this a bit when at a large range. I'll look into it, but that won't be for a week at least as I've got other dev tasks. In the meantime can you use extended please.

This "maybe" an ios issue more than a router issue  since ios8.01 theres been numerous problems with the wifi on apple products.

1) make sure you have installed all the updates ( the most recent ones were to fix the wifi issues

2) disabling wifi networking (NOT wifi) helps  - wifi networking can be found  under Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services

3) reset network settings (this will clear the dchp cache  Settings and flush the cache > General > Reset and tap on Reset Network Settings

4) and slightly weirdly changing the ios devices' dns can help with speeds a lot ( just change them to googles go to the wifi settings, hit the litte i next to the wifi signal bar, scroll down till you see dns settings and enter 8.8.8.8 

Hope this helps 

No I will not add another device to the system just for another Wifi. The Netduma replace the IP tagging switch, the l*gb*ster and the Asus router. I am very happy its all in one device now. Energy consumption and error/lag addition wise.

No I will not add another device to the system just for another Wifi. The Netduma replace the IP tagging switch, the l*gb*ster and the Asus router. I am very happy its all in one device now. Energy consumption and error/lag addition wise.

Glad you are happy, if you are having wifi issues you'd only add the Asus router back into the mix.

but i'm glad you are happy and everything is working.

Archived