NAT type going from Open to Strict

Achilles

I loaded up my Xbox One today and found that my NAT type was strict. 

I literally haven't changed any settings, my geo-filter is switched off and ports are forwarded. 

I played both Xbox 360 and Xbox One last night with an open NAT and have not changed any settings, not sure what to do. 

Tests on the Xbox tell me that I'm "behind a port-preserving port-symmetric NAT".

Checked my Xbox 360 and the NAT was Open, so I'm confused. 

I'm using as ASUS DSL-N55U modem/router to connect the Netduma R1. 

EDIT: I seemed to get my NAT open again but it took a while and was quite a hassle. I set my geo-filter from 2000km to the max and turned it on. I then tested and was still having the issue, I turned it back off (still set to max) and it went back to a coned NAT and was open. 

I'm not sure what is causing this, or what I am or could be doing wrong. The geo-filer was NOT on when I loaded up the console. 

The only other thing I did was turn off my ports (all for Advanced Warfare and one for Xbox Live) however I turned them back on, retested and it was still open. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi mate,

I guess you're behind a router not a modem(or a router in modem mode)? Is that correct? If so have you put the R1 in DMZ? 

Hi mate,

I guess you're behind a router not a modem(or a router in modem mode)? Is that correct? If so have you put the R1 in DMZ? 

Yes it's a modem/router. I did try putting the R1 into DMZ (turned it on and set the DMZ the R1's IP) yet it didn't do anything. 

This was before I resolved the issue, see my EDIT. 

Honestly not sure what was or is causing it. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok I think I know what the issue is, it could be two things:

1. Can you make sure your geo-filter is off the whole time, even when AW starts. Then check if it says Open NAT. If so then its a false-negative and you can just ignore the report in the future
  2. If the above isn't the issue please screenshot your UPnP table(On the main menu select "Settings > UPnP")

I'll admit I didn't start AW when I found my NAT to be strict, however the geo-filter was disabled when I first booted the X1. I even hard resetted the X1 one or two times to double check everything. 

When I turned the geo-filter on and off with the radius set to max my NAT did changed to Open on the X1 settings and was also open on AW. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok please let me know if it happens again. Honestly not brushing you off, I think I know what it could be. Its something very minor to do with the enable/disable toggle. Sometimes I think it gets confused in weird circumstances. The solution is just to toggle again. I need to verify this, and if so I'll fix it in a week or so.

Alright I'll bookmark this thread and keep you guys posted. 

Also, would it be better to enable DMZ? Honestly not sure what it does or how it could help. I currently have 1 wireless device still connecting to my modem/router which I will connect to the R1 tomorrow. Then everything will be going through the R1, if DMZ at that point would help then I can easily enable it. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Yes DMZ will definitely help!

DMZ from a gaming point of view makes it behave as if its a modem. So its ideal, otherwise the Netduma has to do a lot of work to try open the NAT and sometimes it can't. So yes please keep DMZ on.

UPDATE

Logged on just now and the NAT is strict again, DMZ is open and geo-filter was off when I first logged in.

Fired up AW and it was VERY slow in connecting to Xbox Live and fetching my online profile. However, it shows NAT is open. 

Not sure what I should do next. 

EDIT:

Toggled Geo-filter ON, tested, still strict. Turned it back OFF, re-tested and it was still strict. However AW is showing NAT as Open. 

I have the weird feeling it may be linked to my adjustments under congestion control, however it could just be a coincidence. 

Nevermind, reset distribution and still strict. Re-adjusted my congestion and toggled the geo-filter again but it produced no change. 

Second UPDATE:

Came on tonight and NAT was now set to OPEN under the Xbox One test. No settings have changed at all and Instant-on is enabled so it seems that something triggers it but it is a false negative. 

Second UPDATE:

Came on tonight and NAT was now set to OPEN under the Xbox One test. No settings have changed at all and Instant-on is enabled so it seems that something triggers it but it is a false negative. 

Yeah, from all I have read, it's a false negative.

Archived