A lan cable has been disconnected (PS4)

Is anybody else experiencing random disconnects when connected directly to the Duma through ethernet?  I have two PS4s that I've tested and both rendered the same issue... I've tried 3 different ethernet cables, different ports on the router with no avail...  I just hope its not a hardware issue with the R1, I've only had it for about two months.  I first thought it was my port on my PS4 but like I said, I tested both my PS4s.  I stay connected when I'm on wifi but get disconnected wired. It disconnects me then immediately puts me back online, enough for me to get dropped from an online game (codAW).  Nothing else that is connected to the Duma is affected when this happens (wired nor wireless). I'm going back to default setting on the router and I'll report any changes... Any thoughts are apreciated, thx...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Netduma Staff

Couple of thoughts :) Is this with ALL wired devices or just the consoles? Have you tried a different ethernet cable? Are the cabled plugged all the way in? :)

Also, just to mention, this is the feedback and suggestions thread. The correct place to post support questions is here :)

Couple of thoughts :) Is this with ALL wired devices or just the consoles? Have you tried a different ethernet cable? Are the cabled plugged all the way in? :)

Also, just to mention, this is the feedback and suggestions thread. The correct place to post support questions is here :)

Hey Crossy, I've tried different cables even different cat cables (5, 5e, 6) and its only affecting the PS4 wired and I'll be sure next time the thread is posted in its proper category  :)

I'm currently testing issue with a factory reset, I'll keep everyone updated...

• Netduma Staff

Hey Crossy, I've tried different cables even different cat cables (5, 5e, 6) and its only affecting the PS4 wired and I'll be sure next time the thread is posted in its proper category  :)

I'm currently testing issue with a factory reset, I'll keep everyone updated...

Ok, awesome :) Let us know what happens. I just mentioned the thread thing because then it keeps the forum nice and tidy - didn't mean to be rude or anything :) Resets usually fix stuff.

I had this problem with one of my older PS3's back in the day, it turned out the Ethernet port on the PS3 died...

Try connecting the Ethernet cable (of both your PS4's) directly to your ISP provided modem and see if it works.

Ok, after a whole day of intense testing, this is my result:

1. Factory Settings seemed to work for a while but then the issue started again after a few hours in

2.Swapped back to my old netgear router this morning a no more issues

So I'm assuming its the R1, weather its a hardware issue or a software issue I don't know  :(

What should I do, any suggestions Netduma Staff? RMA?

Hi lain, I've tried this already. I tried different cables even with one fresh out the wrapper. I noticed this happening about two weeks ago but happens more often now. I also thought I had too many devices using up all my bandwidth but it happened when nothing else was online as well...

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks Akic, yes I believe that was bagsta with the database issue.

Madman is it only the playstation doing this? Do other wired devices or wifi devices work fine? 

Thanks Akic, yes I believe that was bagsta with the database issue.

Madman is it only the playstation doing this? Do other wired devices or wifi devices work fine?

I'll try rebuilding my database and yes it only bumbs me offline on the PS4 all other wired devices don't suffer the disconnect

I will also try a fourth Ethernet cable

Thanks guys for all the help, I respond with results a little later

Well I can confirm that its the R1 router, I used my old Netgear router for 2 days straight and it never disconnected me.

I plugged in the R1 this morning and within a couple of minutes it boots me off line giving the same error "a lan cable has been disconnected"

I'm thinking its a hardware issue on the router how would I go about getting that fixed lain?

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hey Madman, after a bit of research, it seems far too many people are experiencing this problem with their PS4 which leads me to believe its not on our end. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one solution but rather little solutions that people suggest that may or may not work for individuals. I will continue to research this and get back to you with my findings  :)

Hey Madman, after a bit of research, it seems far too many people are experiencing this problem with their PS4 which leads me to believe its not on our end. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one solution but rather little solutions that people suggest that may or may not work for individuals. I will continue to research this and get back to you with my findings :)

I've spent over a week trying to figure all this out and I'm more than certain its the router

I loved my Netduma R1 when it worked

Please read the entire thread of what I have already tried

Does Netduma offer any warranty service?

Guest Netduma Fraser

I've spent over a week trying to figure all this out and I'm more than certain its the router

I loved my Netduma R1 when it worked

Please read the entire thread of what I have already tried

Does Netduma offer any warranty service?

I have read what you've tried and a lot of people from what I can see have tried the same things as you. I'm just trying to find other solutions before we resort to sending back the router. Iain or Luke can offer better advice than I can on warranty and I'm sure they will comment on this soon.

Some people have found that wiggling the cable a little from side to side when its plugged into the PS4 results in the error coming up immediately. Having it leant one way (one user has his leaning to the right) after applying something to keep it there has resolved the issue. Some have found luck with changing the MTU also. 

I'm not saying that its conclusively not the R1 but with others having the same issue there may be something else to it. 

I have read what you've tried and a lot of people from what I can see have tried the same things as you. I'm just trying to find other solutions before we resort to sending back the router. Iain or Luke can offer better advice than I can on warranty and I'm sure they will comment on this soon.

Some people have found that wiggling the cable a little from side to side when its plugged into the PS4 results in the error coming up immediately. Having it leant one way (one user has his leaning to the right) after applying something to keep it there has resolved the issue. Some have found luck with changing the MTU also.

I'm not saying that its conclusively not the R1 but with others having the same issue there may be something else to it.

I appreciate you trying to help Fraser, I'm just a little frustrated that's all.

Tried the MTU and I'm sure it's not the wiggle to the right thing on the cable either

Guest Netduma Fraser

I appreciate you trying to help Fraser, I'm just a little frustrated that's all.

Tried the MTU and I'm sure it's not the wiggle to the right thing on the cable either

I totally get that no worries. Maybe not, I've seen that a lot of people are having the issues you have described and its to do with a dodgy, not necessarily broken PS4 port which is why the wiggle may cause the error to come up. Which would make sense as one user bought a new ethernet cable that had a much smaller compact head with anti-tangle flat cabling and as it now fits in with no room to wiggle it has since solved his issue. 

Just trying to come up with solutions so as to save the trouble of sending it back. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Madman,

I think me and you are slightly out of sync. I have the shift in the day UK time and Fraser covers the evening on weekdays. I'll do some research myself tomorrow morning but in the meantime(sorry if you have tried this already) but try a different port on the R1. I'll come up with a better response tomorrow morning after doing further research.

Guest Netduma_Iain

One other thing mate, do other devices connect via wire on other physical ports and the same one? Thanks

Hey Iain, I've tried different ports and I've had my pc and appletv hard wired to it at the same time with my PS4

And yes we are totally on the opposite side of the world, lol. I'm out here in the south western part of the U.S.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Luckily I'm still awake, don't ask :P

Ok great so its only the playstation that's having the issue. Can you check just for experimentation if you have the same issue using wifi on the playstation please?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Sorry buddy, I read so many threads that I sometimes lose the context. Ok so it seems that purely wired on ps4 that is having the issue. I'll get to the bottom of it tomorrow morning :) 

Archived