Netduma with Comcast Gateway router/Modem combo

I was thinking about getting the netduma and i live in GA and i have a Comcast Gateway Router/Modem combo..just wondering how easy is the installation process . I have 100 up and 20 Down.  I hope i would be able to actually play AW with a great connection and all my shots register lol

Guest Netduma Fraser

I was thinking about getting the netduma and i live in GA and i have a Comcast Gateway Router/Modem combo..just wondering how easy is the installation process . I have 100 up and 20 Down.  I hope i would be able to actually play AW with a great connection and all my shots register lol

There shouldnt be any issues but if there is you can let us know and we'll help you out :) Should just be a case of putting the gateway into modem mode, connecting the R1 to the modem and then connecting all your other devices to the R1 :)

Got it thats what i figured. Once i get the device in hand then im sure i will have more questions regarding the setup process. Thanks Fraser

Guest Netduma Fraser

Got it thats what i figured. Once i get the device in hand then im sure i will have more questions regarding the setup process. Thanks Fraser

No problem at all, if you want to read up a bit about it beforehand check out our wiki http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php:)

There shouldnt be any issues but if there is you can let us know and we'll help you out :) Should just be a case of putting the gateway into modem mode, connecting the R1 to the modem and then connecting all your other devices to the R1 :)

I had Comcast gear when my Duma showed up and this makes it sound like more than it really was to be honest.  Easy integration and I saw improvements right away.

I live in GA and I have Comcast as well. However I purchased my own Modem so I do not have the Gateway Router/Modem combo like you do. Only wondering if your Netduma will see your "other" devices besides your Console that is connected to your Netduma (for congestion control). 
The team of Netduma does help though so should not be an issue.

I live near Nashville TN and also have Comcast. I believe we have the same modem as I also have the 105/20 package. I just received my router yesterday and all I did was activate bridge mode on my Comcast modem. Just make sure you cycle power to the router if you turn on bridge mode with it on and plugged into the modem. 

You should also refer to this thread (http://forum.netduma.com/topic/95-why-does-speedtest-say-i-only-have-50-60mbits/) as it explains why you will need change a few things so you can get the full 100mbits to your console or PC. I haven't implemented the changes the thread suggests just yet as I'm at work but I did notice I wasn't getting the 100mbits to my Xbone while I was toying with it before work.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Bob, thanks for purchasing.

the xbox/ps tests are usually inaccurate and underestimate bandwidth try use a PC/laptop with speedtest.net

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the support guys. Actually purchased it earlier today and cant wait til it arrives.  :lol:

As everyone said you can put the modem you have into bridge mode (or call comcast and have them enable it depending on the model of the modem) and then plug the R1 into port 1 on the modem and you should be good to go...

If they say bridge mode is simply turning off the wifi don't do it that way. What you'll want to do then is either 1-Purchase your own modem without a built in router (your best option since it saves you the rental fee) or 2- Put the R1 in the DMZ of the comcast modem.

Purchasing the R1 is one of the the best gaming investments you will make.

This product puts the fun back into gaming!

With respect to the AIO (All In One) modem/router/wap that you are renting from Comcast, send it back and pick up this:

Surfboard - SB6121: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6121-DOCSIS/dp/B004XC6GJ0

I would avoid the SB6141 and SBG6580 as they have been known from time to time to experience issues with the Comcast firmware that gets downloaded to the modem once they activate it on their network.

Your setup will be simple and efficient ... Cabel Modem --> NetDuma R1 --> to your devices in your home

I have comcast and my Netduma will be here tomorrow however i have extreme 105 with 105 down and 20 up. i have the router/modem combo gateway model.  Will this work good in bridge mode?

Make & Model:   Arris Interactive, L.L.C. tg862g    

CjjccMN.jpg

Purchasing the R1 is one of the the best gaming investments you will make.

This product puts the fun back into gaming!

With respect to the AIO (All In One) modem/router/wap that you are renting from Comcast, send it back and pick up this:

Surfboard - SB6121: http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6121-DOCSIS/dp/B004XC6GJ0

I would avoid the SB6141 and SBG6580 as they have been known from time to time to experience issues with the Comcast firmware that gets downloaded to the modem once they activate it on their network.

Your setup will be simple and efficient ... Cabel Modem --> NetDuma R1 --> to your devices in your home

i see this modem at best buy for $69. really not trying to spend any more money for a modem when i already have one and plus just spent $200+ for the netduma. Would the modem/router combo i have above be okay? i can enable bridge mode which completely makes it into a modem only and i can disable the xfinity mobile hotspot as well. 

I have comcast and my Netduma will be here tomorrow however i have extreme 105 with 105 down and 20 up. i have the router/modem combo gateway model.  Will this work good in bridge mode?

Make & Model:   Arris Interactive, L.L.C. tg862g    

CjjccMN.jpg

Yup I've used it before and bridge mode works fine with that. You can enable it in the settings of the modem (10.0.0.1)

i see this modem at best buy for $69. really not trying to spend any more money for a modem when i already have one and plus just spent $200+ for the netduma. Would the modem/router combo i have above be okay? i can enable bridge mode which completely makes it into a modem only and i can disable the xfinity mobile hotspot as well. 

Yes, it will work.

However, I have found (home and business) with these AIO (All In One) from Comcast, you need to use an active amp to get a better experience.

Motorola Signal Booster Amplifier - BDA-S1

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Signal-Booster-BDA-S1-Amplifier/dp/B00122FCRG

However, give it a try and see if you have no issues.

Yes, it will work.

However, I have found (home and business) with these AIO (All In One) from Comcast, you need to use an active amp to get a better experience.

Motorola Signal Booster Amplifier - BDA-S1

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Signal-Booster-BDA-S1-Amplifier/dp/B00122FCRG

However, give it a try and see if you have no issues.

i already have one of these i think however its used with my cable box not my modem. i have a dedciated line for my modem. 

i already have one of these i think however its used with my cable box not my modem. i have a dedciated line for my modem. 

This is not so much because you have a dedicated line for the modem, I do too for my gaming rig.

It' helps if you are too far away or close to the cable trunk. It raises or lower the signal so that the modem does not have a difficult time "talking" because of too week or strong of signal.

Yes, too strong of signal can be as bad as a weak signal, most are not aware of this for cable.

Two of my locations where hanging off the main cable trunk and was getting "blasted", so the amp corrected it and no issues at those locations since.

Wish you well in your endeavors.

Archived