Ping Mode Or Ping Search?

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I didn't seem to find a topic for it on the feedback/suggestion thread. Anyway, could you guys implement a Ping Mode? For example instead of using the geo-filter, you enable Ping mode. You set what the max ping of a host/server you'd like to connect to and then enable it similar to the geo-filter button. Now, when searching for a game instead of searching for closer locations, it only focuses on ping. It rejects all hosts that exceed the max ping and accepts the first host/server that does meet the parameters set. Maybe this could be even faster for finding a game?

I don't care about where exactly the location of a person is, as long as I have a good ping to that person as that's what matters the most. Once you get connected to a game you can still rate the host of course and utilize the allow and deny feature. As maybe in the quick ping search they showed a good ping, but in reality their connection is unstable and fluctuates too much and they should be denied. 

Obviously this would be great for when you're playing solo, but in a party it wouldn't be useful unless they lived close to you. Anyway,not even sure this is possible as it may not work with however COD's matchmaking works, but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I didn't seem to find a topic for it on the feedback/suggestion thread. Anyway, could you guys implement a Ping Mode? For example instead of using the geo-filter, you enable Ping mode. You set what the max ping of a host/server you'd like to connect to and then enable it similar to the geo-filter button. Now, when searching for a game instead of searching for closer locations, it only focuses on ping. It rejects all hosts that exceed the max ping and accepts the first host/server that does meet the parameters set. Maybe this could be even faster for finding a game?

I don't care about where exactly the location of a person is, as long as I have a good ping to that person as that's what matters the most. Once you get connected to a game you can still rate the host of course and utilize the allow and deny feature. As maybe in the quick ping search they showed a good ping, but in reality their connection is unstable and fluctuates too much and they should be denied. 

Obviously this would be great for when you're playing solo, but in a party it wouldn't be useful unless they lived close to you. Anyway,not even sure this is possible as it may not work with however COD's matchmaking works, but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

In theory this is a great idea, the only possible issue is ping changes, and you'd really need to set it up so there was a search in a range say 0-50ms . 50-100ms

People would naturally only select the lowest option and this could cause issues for matchmaking ..

Let me think about it some more as this is one of those things that could impact matchmaking esp in cod 

In theory this is a great idea, the only possible issue is ping changes, and you'd really need to set it up so there was a search in a range say 0-50ms . 50-100ms

People would naturally only select the lowest option and this could cause issues for matchmaking ..

Let me think about it some more as this is one of those things that could impact matchmaking esp in cod 

Doesn't the geofilter in itself though impact the matchmaking? I mean when I let the game search naturally with no geofilter I get placed in lobbies in the midwest-east coast and southern California a lot, so if the geo-filter was working for me I'd be impacting the matchmaking. (I'm in the seattle area) Unless there's something I don't understand about the matchmaking.

I agree with you about how ping changes, and that's why if you did connect to the game you could utilize the ping graph just like you can with the geofilter to make sure that ping is indeed consistent and you could rate them accordingly. Anyway meow, thanks for the response.

Doesn't the geofilter in itself though impact the matchmaking? I mean when I let the game search naturally with no geofilter I get placed in lobbies in the midwest-east coast and southern California a lot, so if the geo-filter was working for me I'd be impacting the matchmaking. (I'm in the seattle area) Unless there's something I don't understand about the matchmaking.

I agree with you about how ping changes, and that's why if you did connect to the game you could utilize the ping graph just like you can with the geofilter to make sure that ping is indeed consistent and you could rate them accordingly. Anyway meow, thanks for the response.

sorry i probably should've clarified this a bit better 

It would be quite possible to then end up in matched that would be outside of your normal geo filter range,

there is another downside to ping only in that ping is a two way measurement , in theory a 50ms in a perfect world would be 25ms each way but in reality it isn't always like that you could send a ping request that takes 10ms to get there and 40ms to get back ( the internet doesn't always router traffic the same, and last mile netowrks can be a pita this is where jitter comes in to the equation)

Also as game traffic is basically one way between client and server and or  then server to client , so you can end up having weird laggy moments.

I'm not knocking your idea i do think its a good idea and we'd need to look at the impact and maybe do an internal test or two to see if the results are different than say just using geo filter as the last thing we would want to do is degrade anyones experiences online/

It would be quite possible to then end up in matched that would be outside of your normal geo filter range,

there is another downside to ping only in that ping is a two way measurement , in theory a 50ms in a perfect world would be 25ms each way but in reality it isn't always like that you could send a ping request that takes 10ms to get there and 40ms to get back ( the internet doesn't always router traffic the same, and last mile netowrks can be a pita this is where jitter comes in to the equation)

Also as game traffic is basically one way between client and server and or  then server to client , so you can end up having weird laggy moments.

I'm not knocking your idea i do think its a good idea and we'd need to look at the impact and maybe do an internal test or two to see if the results are different than say just using geo filter as the last thing we would want to do is degrade anyones experiences online/

Ahh okay, fair enough. Yeah I also meant this ping mode would be separate from the geo-filter as an alternative option. I ping really well all the way down to a los angeles server for example, and that exceeds what I normally would have put for my geo-filter. Anyway yeah, let me know how it goes if you guys do test it. =)

All of your points are truly valid, would never dispute them.

Limiting connection based on distance as a filter has the potential to effect MM issues ... sometimes it takes a little longer to catch a game. But this does not negate the fact that the feature is not needed.

Same would be for Max Ping, another filter that has the potential to effect MM issues ... sometimes it takes a little longer to catch a game. But this does not negate the fact that the feature is not needed.

For me ( I know, I can be selfish at times :-/ ), employing a Max Ping filter is no different than using a server browser and selecting what one perceives to be the best scenario for them to play under, for a console player, it's just automating the process. This feature would be another first that the community needs, would be trend setting just as Geo Filter is.

I get that developers are forced to have to allow a given Max ping, their hands are truly tied. But this should not negate the fact, that as an individual, I elect not to play in less than desirable conditions.

I also understand that, as a manufacture of a product for a given industry, you do not want to lose any working relationships.

It's a hard endeavor, to please your customer base %100 (as one should) and not blow a working relationship with other manufactures that should be maintained.

At any rate Adam, I do understand your position.

With that stated, please be a trend setter again, the community will be better for it!  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So currently they use IP lookup (takes milliseconds) to decide if a connection is too far away, this means that the router can block the connection until the quick math before hand then allow it if it is in your geo-range.

If you were to use ping to do the above it will take ~1 second to get the first ping response.   My assumption would be this would lead to a lot more getting booted from lobbies and parties...

Maybe this is all just my assumptions, enjoy.

So currently they use IP lookup (takes milliseconds) to decide if a connection is too far away, this means that the router can block the connection until the quick math before hand then allow it if it is in your geo-range.

If you were to use ping to do the above it will take ~1 second to get the first ping response.   My assumption would be this would lead to a lot more getting booted from lobbies and parties...

Maybe this is all just my assumptions, enjoy.

Guess we'll have to see which kind of steroids the geo-filter will be taking beside the cloud roids.

Guess we'll have to see which kind of steroids the geo-filter will be taking beside the cloud roids.

I know :P  its like the geo filter got blasted with gamma radiation then someone made it angry :)

Getting back on topic, the issue with ping based match making ( and lets just talk cod here) is it can cause more issue for us euros than you 'muricans as we can still be matched outside the uk and vice versa for mainland euros.  

i guess the best all round option would be geo filter - ping - or option of a mixture of both maybe?

I know :P  its like the geo filter got blasted with gamma radiation then someone made it angry :)

Getting back on topic, the issue with ping based match making ( and lets just talk cod here) is it can cause more issue for us euros than you 'muricans as we can still be matched outside the uk and vice versa for mainland euros.  

i guess the best all round option would be geo filter - ping - or option of a mixture of both maybe?

You nailed it Adam.

1) Set the geo filter so one can decide where in the world one would like to play.

2) Set the ping filter to max ping they are willing to play under.

The two combined would be basically like what a PC players gets ... they decide what server they wish to play on (usually geo based, meaning close to them) then finding a game with a ping time that is acceptable to them.

I do realize this is a bit of a stretch, but it's as close to what a console player could ever do, that his/her PC brothers/sisters do with a server browser.

At any rate, thanks for the consideration of the idea.

Both and separate would be the most ideal for everyone. Options are neat.  We'll see what happens meow. Of course if you're playing solo in  Europe, you will ping well to games outside of your country. Is that a problem because of hearing different languages? I suppose that's why it would be favorable to have both options, or well three options. Geo only (customize able), geo-ping, or ping only. 

You nailed it Adam.

1) Set the geo filter so one can decide where in the world one would like to play.

2) Set the ping filter to max ping they are willing to play under.

The two combined would be basically like what a PC players gets ... they decide what server they wish to play on (usually geo based, meaning close to them) then finding a game with a ping time that is acceptable to them.

I do realize this is a bit of a stretch, but it's as close to what a console player could ever do, that his/her PC brothers/sisters do with a server browser.

At any rate, thanks for the consideration of the idea.

Definitely a great idea!

I also think that displaying the ping of all available host on the geofilter would be great.  For instance all host of 1-25 pings would be green , all host of 26-50 would be blue, all host of 51-75 would be yellow, all host of 76-100 would be red, etc… If a ping filter would be to difficult to implement I believe this would be the next best thing because you could, if you really wanted to, blacklist all of the bad ping host through allow and deny.

With all things considered, I think adding a max ping filter to the Geo filter would be the way to go. As an option though. I'm with the duma guys of not bringing in a ping filter to work on its own. A ping max limit on the Geo will weed out those with bad internet and will allow you to open the Geo filter a bit to allow more opportunities for match's.

With all things considered, I think adding a max ping filter to the Geo filter would be the way to go. As an option though. I'm with the duma guys of not bringing in a ping filter to work on its own. A ping max limit on the Geo will weed out those with bad internet and will allow you to open the Geo filter a bit to allow more opportunities for match's.

Out of curiosity, why would you be opposed to a separate option for ping only? If something like this were to be implemented, there would definitely need to be an option for geo-ping as well. Much like you and the Duma meowers stated. I didn't consider that geo-ping option before, because I'm Murican, but that makes sense for people wanting to remain in their own country. 

Having a ping only mode however,  would be Ideal for those that just want the best ping possible regardless of location.  Then everyone would be happy. Obviously these are all separate options as you suggested. Who knows if it would even work really, or if it's anything that will be added, I was just curious as why you were against a ping only option meow?

Not really against it, i just heed the experts advise of troubles it may allow in and how innaccurate a ping snap shot would be. to measure true ping of one individual takes time and you see how fast AW slams you into a lobby or moves on. Not alot of time.

I honestly would like Iain to spend time on some other features before tackling this behemoth of a feature.

Is the idea I listed below any easier to implement?  I thought that it might be, but I know absolutely nothing about coding. 

Definitely a great idea!

I also think that displaying the ping of all available host on the geofilter would be great.  For instance all host of 1-25 pings would be green , all host of 26-50 would be blue, all host of 51-75 would be yellow, all host of 76-100 would be red, etc… If a ping filter would be to difficult to implement I believe this would be the next best thing because you could, if you really wanted to, blacklist all of the bad ping host through allow and deny.

after reading all of this im getting even more excited can't wait for my router to get home =) Do you think in addition to those features you mentioned before we could get a feature. Which allows you to choose to connect only to dedicated servers in the area of the geo-filter. Basically I would use this to search only for Ded servers because as everybody knows or should know, Ded servers are what gave cod the little consitency it had in the past (cod2 / cod4 etc) as I browsed the forum I saw someone talking about Dedicated servers not showing up on the map so I just thought if you can see them why not connect only to that kind of "host"? 

Is this possible?

after reading all of this im getting even more excited can't wait for my router to get home =) Do you think in addition to those features you mentioned before we could get a feature. Which allows you to choose to connect only to dedicated servers in the area of the geo-filter. Basically I would use this to search only for Ded servers because as everybody knows or should know, Ded servers are what gave cod the little consitency it had in the past (cod2 / cod4 etc) as I browsed the forum I saw someone talking about Dedicated servers not showing up on the map so I just thought if you can see them why not connect only to that kind of "host"? 

Is this possible?

I'm almost certain that they would never implement a feature that matched you only with dedicated servers (they want to maintain good relations with game publishers).  However with the idea I listed you would have the ability to deny bad ping hosts which would give you that consistent experience you are looking for, and also make it more probable that you would connect to dedis.

Definitely a great idea!

Just displaying a different color for each node you connect to would be easy, then i suppose you could automatically have certain pings rated to certain ratings...then if you manually change it they would keep that instead..

it's really just the amount of time it takes for a ICMP (ping) packet to return isn't instantaneous...they would also need to have this multi-threaded so they can ping all of the nodes at once.

This is definitely more doable than, a ping filter...but i suppose creates the same end result.

So they'd need to ping each node at minimum 5 times and average them, sending all the ICMP packets at once...this would likely be pretty intensive but it should work.

Archived