Destiny Upgrade

Guest Netduma Fraser

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hey guys, so through doing testing we have found some issues and have done more fixes! This would require you to do a new upgrade. We can give you this upgrade now but we are currently making a new feature that will help Destiny, GTA and other games quite a lot. This should be available soon, so which would you prefer, get the upgrade now or wait until the new feature has been released?

Guest Netduma Fraser

Will it help CoD at all? I guess not otherwise you would have mentioned it :) Just wanna check though.

Its mainly aimed at P2P based games, CoD is unlikely to get too much benefit from it.

Guest Netduma Fraser

A little update again, we are trying to get it out asap and make it as good as possible. Please bare with us as we work on this in the coming days. We are optimistic youll love what we've done for it, it will help with GTA etc and we'll be focusing on other games in the future too :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Victor, Its ok, sorry mate for the delay a few things have come up that have stalled us. Will try make sure its out very soon mate.

I look forward to what you have come up with for Destiny. Currently, I only use Netduma to show who host is in Destiny and cannot enable the Geofilter because it sends me 2,000 miles away as opposed to without it maybe 200. Sadly, Destiny is better without the R1.

Guest Netduma Fraser

I look forward to what you have come up with for Destiny. Currently, I only use Netduma to show who host is in Destiny and cannot enable the Geofilter because it sends me 2,000 miles away as opposed to without it maybe 200. Sadly, Destiny is better without the R1.

Hey Dude, based on what we have so far, you should be able to use the R1 to filter your hosts and we'll try and get this concrete soon for you guys to use :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Dude I can't see how it would send you further away that makes no sense at all.  The router only filters it doesn't reverse filter unless you have your home in the wrong location on purpose. Maybe its best starting a new thread with a screenshot of your settings and we can assist you there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!  

I found out about this forum (and the existence of the NetDuma R1 router) while searching the internet for information about Destiny multiplayer.

I'm very interested in this product, after experiencing what affects most all of the players I speak with - inconsistency.

I'm not a great player by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm currently rocking a .83 K/D in Control - but I was always stumped by how I could go, let's say 20-10 one round, and then 4-18 the next round, when I'm playing the game in the same manner as I always do!  lol  I mean, I would expect fluctuations, but come on!   I'm the same player!  How could my results vary by such a large margin from match to match?  

So, reading about this router, I want to believe that this could be the answer.  I want to believe that by controlling who I am connecting to, I can eliminate some of those 4-18 matches.  Maybe I was host during the 20-10 matches.  Maybe this router can help me become host more often, or connect me with matches that feel/respond like that.

After reading this thread though, I am left wondering if this would indeed help my Destiny multiplayer experience, or if it's more of a placebo effect.  Some of the responses indicate that the player's experience hasn't improved after purchasing the router.

I don't play COD much, this would be used for Destiny, and possibly Gears down the road, whenever they release it.

I'd like to ask anyone who plays Destiny multiplayer, has this router helped your gaming experience?  Or, is this simply the wishful thinking of guys like me who repeatedly get their ass kicked?

To the devs, I'd like to know if the upgrade mentioned here in the original post is now live, and if so, what does it do?  How will this help me in Destiny multiplayer?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide information.   Have a good day!

• Netduma Staff

Hello!  

I found out about this forum (and the existence of the NetDuma R1 router) while searching the internet for information about Destiny multiplayer.

I'm very interested in this product, after experiencing what affects most all of the players I speak with - inconsistency.

I'm not a great player by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm currently rocking a .83 K/D in Control - but I was always stumped by how I could go, let's say 20-10 one round, and then 4-18 the next round, when I'm playing the game in the same manner as I always do!  lol  I mean, I would expect fluctuations, but come on!   I'm the same player!  How could my results vary by such a large margin from match to match?  

So, reading about this router, I want to believe that this could be the answer.  I want to believe that by controlling who I am connecting to, I can eliminate some of those 4-18 matches.  Maybe I was host during the 20-10 matches.  Maybe this router can help me become host more often, or connect me with matches that feel/respond like that.

After reading this thread though, I am left wondering if this would indeed help my Destiny multiplayer experience, or if it's more of a placebo effect.  Some of the responses indicate that the player's experience hasn't improved after purchasing the router.

I don't play COD much, this would be used for Destiny, and possibly Gears down the road, whenever they release it.

I'd like to ask anyone who plays Destiny multiplayer, has this router helped your gaming experience?  Or, is this simply the wishful thinking of guys like me who repeatedly get their ass kicked?

To the devs, I'd like to know if the upgrade mentioned here in the original post is now live, and if so, what does it do?  How will this help me in Destiny multiplayer?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide information.   Have a good day!

Hi there! Welcome to the forums! Here are the answers to your questions :)

Your results in game could vary from match to mach for a huge number of reasons. The ones that the Netduma can help you with are:

-Bad Hosts

-Hosts which are far away

-Lag caused by local congestion

The router defiantly is not a placebo affect (although I have a very interesting experiment related that I know they would never agree to trying, lol). The stats prove it - pings are lower when using the router. Lower pings have a very strong correlation to better, less laggy games. People who are having bad experienced are almost all people who play advanced warfare. Advanced warfare has issues - there is no denying it and that is something that is outside of the routers control.

I can't comment on destiny gameplay as I don't play it although I know that the newest upgrade has taken steps to the GeoFilter for Destiny and a couple of other games. Neither can I comment on Gears, I would recommend having a read of the buyers guide to see the compatible games.

Is it simply wishful thinking? Well it depends what your wishing! Are you wishing for you to suddenly become a pro? If so then yes, wishful thinking! If your wishing for smooth more consistent games then I would say that your wishes aren't far away with this router!

The upgrade is live, it can be found here. It helps destiny multiplayer, and I quote from the change log here, "Expanded port capture pool for xbox/playstation to fix destiny." I haven't tested the upgrade on destiny but I assume that it has improved drastically!

Any more questions then feel free to ask away! :) There is also some more info here on some of the features of the Netduma :)

Thank you for the welcome, Crossy!  I have seen your posts, you seem to be the forum ambassador of good will.  Cool.  :)

I appreciate the information and links you provided.  I have to admit that I don't understand what this means:

"Expanded port capture pool for xbox/playstation to fix destiny."

The other points you bring up make sense to me.  Lower pings = better games.   So theoretically, I would stand a better chance of getting in a good game by utilizing the geo-filter and ping assist functionality of this router.

And, you confirmed that the upgrade is indeed live, so thanks!

I am just about ready to go for it and purchase this thing.   I would really like to hear from people who actually play Destiny, though ... if there is anyone out there?

• Netduma Staff

Thank you for the welcome, Crossy!  I have seen your posts, you seem to be the forum ambassador of good will.  Cool.   :)

Thank you :)

I appreciate the information and links you provided.  I have to admit that I don't understand what this means:

"Expanded port capture pool for xbox/playstation to fix destiny."

The other points you bring up make sense to me.  Lower pings = better games.   So theoretically, I would stand a better chance of getting in a good game by utilizing the geo-filter and ping assist functionality of this router.

And, you confirmed that the upgrade is indeed live, so thanks!

I am just about ready to go for it and purchase this thing.   I would really like to hear from people who actually play Destiny, though ... if there is anyone out there?

Thank you :)

"Expanded port capture pool for xbox/playstation to fix destiny." This sounds like they have included more ports to be filtered by the GeoFilter. Let me explain more incase that doesn't make sense :) Games might send a packet (a piece of data) to your console. When your router gets the packet (in this case the R1) it has been told that it should be send to 3075 (I think thats one of the ones for CoD - btw there is more that one port that is used but it follows the same principle and this is just for an example). The game has already told your router that all data for packet 3075 should go to it (it binds to that port - thats what UPnP is doing). So the router knows to send it to your console because of the port number.

The Netduma dev has worked out that the data going through port 3075 are the dedicated servers. So the Netduma can work out Geographically where that IP is and and then if it outside of your GeoFilter block it so you won't connect to that host.

So what probably has been worked out is that destiny is using other ports and the GeoFilter wasn't blocking those connections because it didn't know that they were hosts which means you would connect to them as well and the GeoFilter wouldn't block them. What the line in the change log suggest is that extra ports have been added to the GeoFilter so now the ports used by destiny will have the connections processed and blocked if outside if your GeoFilter.

Just to add I'm not sure if those are the correct port numbers. It also won't just be one port number the games will use multiple port numbers. The above information is simplified so its not 100% accurate but I think it explains just about what is going on, Does it make sense now? I can try and explain better if it doesn't :)

I think you do a fine job of explaining.  If I'm understanding correctly, the GeoFilter wasn't really working as good as it could for Destiny before this upgrade - but it should do a better job now that the ports Destiny uses have been added to the capture pool.   Thank you, Crossy.

Archived