Netgear Residential Gateway replaced?

ZAdkins

Just like my title says, I have a Netgear Residential Gateway, now does the R1 replace this? I know it will replace a router, but what about a Gateway? If not, then will I have to combine the two?

Thank-you so much guys, I watched the YouTube videos and I'm very intrigued on buying an R1.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi, 

Glad to hear you're considering purchasing the R1. I assume by gateway you mean a router with a modem right? If so you're correct the R1 does not replace it. You have three options:

1. If the Netgear has modem mode, then enable that and the R1 will work out the box
  2. If it has DMZ, then put the R1 in the DMZ and the R1 will work out the box
  3. Connect the R1 directly to the Netgear

The only downside with option 3 is that ports may not be open. The R1 does its best effort to open in the upstream router(Netgear your case) but some won't allow it, if thats the case you'll have to add manual port entries, we can assist you if that is the case.

Hope that helps

Yes, I'm sorry, it is a router with a modem, that is what we receive default from my ISP. So, what you are saying is that if I purchased an R1 then I would have to connect the two together and forget about my (Gateway's DMZ) and set the R1's DMZ?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok, not quite what I meant is this

Wall <-> Netgear <-> R1

Then go to the Netgears panel and put the R1 in dmz. Then you're good to go :)

Hi, 

Glad to hear you're considering purchasing the R1. I assume by gateway you mean a router with a modem right? If so you're correct the R1 does not replace it. You have three options:

1. If the Netgear has modem mode, then enable that and the R1 will work out the box
  2. If it has DMZ, then put the R1 in the DMZ and the R1 will work out the box
  3. Connect the R1 directly to the Netgear

The only downside with option 3 is that ports may not be open. The R1 does its best effort to open in the upstream router(Netgear your case) but some won't allow it, if thats the case you'll have to add manual port entries, we can assist you if that is the case.

Hope that helps

In my early initial testing I did not notice any difference between (2) and (3). With either it did not find the UK location, i.e. defaulted to Australia. With DMZ I have to assign a static IP address which thereby, because internal IP address stops it knowing the true ISP assigned IP address. I assume the R1 has a firewall, as normally I'm apprehensive of putting devices in a DMZ. Are there any benefits of putting it in a DMZ? Lots of people on my channel are interested and thus I will be doing a setup video, and if there are any tips, recommendations on setup let me know.

Cheers

Sim

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi SIm,

If you didn't notice a difference between (2) and (3) that means that the extra effort the R1 does worked for you. So you don't need to do anything :)

You're correct, normally you shouldn't put devices in DMZ but the R1 comes with its own firewall. So its acceptable in this scenario.

Just wondering whether in this case to put it in DMZ as network packets are travelling through 2 firewalls. I guess the additionaly latency would be negligible with the existing setup?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ya latency is not an issue in any of these setups. The only thing worth considering is NAT opening otherwise its pretty much identical.

Archived