PPPOE required in Dubai for Static IP, ISP SPEED DECREASED

In order to have an Open NAT in Dubai with Du Telecom you have to have a PPPOE service and pay for a Static IP. If you don't have PPPOE and a Static IP you will have at best a Moderate NAT.

My purchased plan with my ISP is 100 mbps Download and 20 mbps upload.

When testing my actual speeds through the Netduma R1 I achieve approximately 30 - 40 mbps download and 12 - 15 mbps upload. I know this is because I am using PPPOE on my Netduma R1 and I have read the pop up when setting up the Netduma R1.

When testing through my Macbook direct to my Modem using PPPOE I achieve approximately 85 - 95 mbps download and 20 - 22 mbps upload.

I have read the forums about setting up my Netduma R1 for low speeds and accessing my PPPOE service though my ISP modem instead of the Netduma R1. Nothing has remedied my speed problems.

I have 2 questions for Netduma Support.

1. Is there any alternate troubleshooting procedures I can try?

2. What is Netduma doing to remedy the PPPOE speed issue entirely?

• Netduma Staff

Hey, welcome to the forum :)

Can you put another router in-between the Netduma and your modem that can handle the PPoE? Apparently it's actually a hardware limitation on the Netduma which causes it to be much slower when using PPoE.

Hey, welcome to the forum :)

Can you put another router in-between the Netduma and your modem that can handle the PPoE? Apparently it's actually a hardware limitation on the Netduma which causes it to be much slower when using PPoE.

That isn't an option I tried. Hopefully, Netduma support can provide details for this procedure in order to set it up as best as possible.

Netduma support: Need instructions on how to set up the following to see if my PPPOE speed issue can be fixed

ISP Modem -> Netgear Nighthawk (Flashed with DD-WRT) -> Netduma R1

Want everything in my household to run through the R1 and just use the Netgear Router to correct my PPPOE speed problem.

Can't you just setup everything as it was before you got the Netduma, then connect the Netduma to your previous router and all other devices to the Neduma?

Its possible that the DD-WRT settings could have an affect on the Netduma settings or algorithm. I am not an IT expert and could use some technical advice from an expert.

• Administrators

Given your speeds you should be able to achieve those doing modem > R1. 

In bandwidth settings set your speeds to 200/200 and allow it to auto setup. 

Then put in your normal speeds but don't allow auto setup and do a wired speed test. You should have full speeds. 

If not we can try another configuration.

Then put in your normal speeds but don't allow auto setup and do a wired speed test. You should have full speeds. 

Thanks Fraser for the help, but I followed your directions precisely and only managed to average 59 mbps up from 47 mbps.

Need to try another configuration please. 

Netduma Fraser, on 20 Mar 2016 - 01:11 AM, said:

Thanks Fraser for the help, but I followed your directions precisely and only managed to average 59 mbps up from 47 mbps.

Need to try another configuration please.

• Administrators

I've merged your two posts, sorry for the late reply.

So if PPPoE isn't working for you I would suggest the following:

Modem > Netgear (R1 in DMZ, all settings default, disable wifi) > R1 (all devices connected) that way you will get all the benefits of the duma and get full speeds.

I've merged your two posts, sorry for the late reply.

So if PPPoE isn't working for you I would suggest the following:

Modem > Netgear (R1 in DMZ, all settings default, disable wifi) > R1 (all devices connected) that way you will get all the benefits of the duma and get full speeds.

Okay, Thanks I will give that a try. I should put the R1's IP address in the netgear DMZ settings right? Also, My netgear is flashed with DD-WRT software, so anything I should be aware of for that software?

Okay, Thanks I will give that a try. I should put the R1's IP address in the netgear DMZ settings right? Also, My netgear is flashed with DD-WRT software, so anything I should be aware of for that software?

Okay Fraser. I've set up my netgear and R1 based on your specifications, and so far wired speed, open nat, and game play are doing much better.

Thank you for your assistance. I will contact you if any problems arise.

Lastly, is Netduma planning on improving their hardware in the future or will there be an option to flash any router we want?

• Administrators

Great, the WAN IP address in device manager yes :) I shouldn't think so, just make sure it's all on default. Basically the way to think of it is just a PPPoE box in essence and that's all it does. No wifi broadcasting, no UPnP, port forwarding etc just R1 in DMZ.

Okay Fraser. I've set up my netgear and R1 based on your specifications, and so far wired speed, open nat, and game play are doing much better.

Thank you for your assistance. I will contact you if any problems arise.

Lastly, is Netduma planning on improving their hardware in the future or will there be an option to flash any router we want?

Fantastic to hear that!

There are no plans for new hardware currently as we're focusing on improving the software as much as possible but I'm sure we will release new hardware at some point.

No option to flash any router you want based on the fact a lot of work has to be put in to make sure a router can actually be successfully flashed with our software. Also allows the opportunity to potentially brick their router which we don't want.

Great, the WAN IP address in device manager yes :) I shouldn't think so, just make sure it's all on default. Basically the way to think of it is just a PPPoE box in essence and that's all it does. No wifi broadcasting, no UPnP, port forwarding etc just R1 in DMZ.

Fantastic to hear that!

There are no plans for new hardware currently as we're focusing on improving the software as much as possible but I'm sure we will release new hardware at some point.

No option to flash any router you want based on the fact a lot of work has to be put in to make sure a router can actually be successfully flashed with our software. Also allows the opportunity to potentially brick their router which we don't want.

Okay Fraser. Thanks for everything.

Archived