What happens if I have multiple wireless transmitters with the same SSID and password?

Netduma Crossy

• Netduma Staff

So at the moment, I only have my consoles going through the Netduma because at the moment, that Netduma can't handle speeds above 120-130 mbps. So all other devices are connected to my original router via WiFi or ethernet.

On my original router, I have the WiFi off, then I am using Wireless power line adapters for WiFi. What I found interesting about them, is that the network goes into one when I give them both the same SSID and password.

My question is, has the network actually "merged" or is it just that my device is only displaying the network it is getting the strongest signal from because they have the same SSID?

If they have "merged" does that mean that I can go anywhere and my device will automatically connect to the strongest signal? Also, does this mean that I could turn the WiFi back on my BT Home Hub and that would also "merge" with the other network.

I might have got this completely wrong, but I would appreciate it if someone could let me know what is actually happening and if adding other WiFi transmitters with same SSID and password would work.

BTW, I know this isn't that R1 related, but it is still networky which is why I posted on the forums :)

EDIT:

Maybe I should have put this in technobabble? :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

They are definitely different physical wifi networks but the PC automatically changes to them I believe. Since they behave as a repeater it seems transparent to you :)

• Netduma Staff

They are definitely different physical wifi networks but the PC automatically changes to them I believe. Since they behave as a repeater it seems transparent to you :)

Ok thanks. So I this means I can set them all up and the devices will connect to the strongest one? Cause that would be awesome :)

It is but Crossy is on FTTP at 300mb so wireless on AC required given speed compared to Netduma.

Just on a slight tangent, what speeds is anyone getting on wifi with Netduma?

When using the same SSID for multiple WAPs whether or not your devices switch over automatically is device and OS dependant.  Most modern devices will switch automatically to the strongest signal (Android from JellyBean and up, windows 7 and up I don't do Apple so don't know about IOS)

One thing I have noticed is if the WAP's signal strength overlaps too much i.e both give a strong enough signal in a certain part of the house you can get constant disconnects as your devices keep jumping back and forth between APs.  Make sure the AP's are spaced far enough apart so they have their own distinct coverage area.

Archived