JD's Headphone Quest - Noise Cancelling for gaming?

Dillinger

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very curious to see how you like your setup. I opted to use the Astro A40's TR system with the Mod Kit so that the cans are sealed. They don't do active noise cancelling, but they do block out maybe 90% of the sound and that with the actual audio block out anything my wife or kids is doing in the background.

Did some gaming tonight, I was behind quite a few patches as I hadn't played since Sat....LOL

I have to say this:

This set up is OP as HELL when you run Dead Silence and Awareness!!!  Holy fuck!  "But JD, they nerfed the shit out of Awareness, it's a useless perk now".  Ha hah, not with this set up.  

I was hearing enemy gunfire directionally, and enemy boot steps with a pretty good idea of direction, THROUGH the sound of my own guys' bootsteps in the snow on Stronghold!  I was able to kill some sneaky little wall runner (on the outside of the cliffs mind you near HQ) because I could hear him dragging along the wall as he ran - while some guy was lying there prone shooting round after round at the house with his sniper.  It's incredibly OP.

Oh yeah, and the noise cancelling on teh wife's TV programs works pretty damn well too!

I had just prestiged, but I wanted to try this set up, so I burnt my perm unlock once I got off zero and had some tokens.  It's crazy good!  I went 8-1 in a drop in loss (like 100-41 styles) and then went 29-2 in a match that was about a minute in when I hit the dirt.

Got a few things to do, and now with the work PC locked out of posting anywhere but the shoutbox, I wanted to get this up for an update.

I intend to test this further tomorrow night as it will be Sweatee Fridaee on the XB1.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, time for an update.  I have been unable to click on specific threads after a big security measure here at the office.  Today, it appears to be working.

I was able to play on both the PS4 and the XB1 with the Creative X7 and the Senns.  I was unable to get the bluetooth to work with the PS4, and I was having a ton of problems with the DLC and the matchmaking, so I kind of gave up on the PS4 as my partner Fuzzy was down with the neck surgery.

On the XB1 I can safely say that this setup is head and shoulders about the Astro A50's that I normally run.  The sound-whoring, the sound dampening from the ambient noise around me and the subtle sound cues from approaching players is amazing.  Had I known it would have made that much of a difference, I probably would have made this move up in tech a while ago.  

My Opinion:  Absolutely beautiful sound, with subtle, crystal clear quality on clarity  and positional cues on little issues like jingling belts and player call outs that really give you an advantage in game.

Current situation:   :(  :angry:  :(

The worst possible scenario happened and my Senn cord got wrapped around a puppy leg and the Creative X7 fell about a foot and broke the needle fitting of the Senn's 'Y' adapter INSIDE the Creative receiver, and hit with enough force to make that receptacle loose inside the Creative housing.  I bought insurance for "drops and spills" from Amazon on the Creative, but the "insurance" is through an outside company named Safe Guard.

Safeguard can suck, not my dick, but can suck an entire bag of dicks.  They can have Sour Cream and Onion dick or Turkish Bathwater dick if they want, but they need to get to some gobbling because they are shit.

1.5 weeks of e-mails later, I finally have been able to register the product.  Now I am waiting for them to accept the registration, and THEN I might be able to file a claim and get it repaired.

If it weren't for some laws changing locally, of which I need to make some purchases now, I would just order another Creative with plans on returning it when the repaired model shows up, but it could be until the Sun burns out at the current rate of "Customer dis-service" I am getting from Safeguard.

I miss the crystal clear sound of the Senns while gaming.  I played a movie on the laptop with them last night, worked like a dream, and it just made me miss them in game that much more.  Especially now that I am using the Wrench and the Brass Knuckles.  So OP

Huge Shout out and fist bump to Zennon and UK Wildcats for all the counsel during this long journey. *respect* I honestly feel there is a big gap between the quality and usefulness of gaming brand headphones and what a quality pair of cans like the Sennheiser can do for your gaming.  

Great update!  I was completely amazed too at the subtle sounds that I never heard before.  I have been trying other perks (not awareness), and I can still hear people close by.  

I am so sorry to hear about your bad luck on the X7. I have a Mixamp Pro TR that I am not using.  I can ship it to you to use while your X7 is being repaired.  I also have some great settings that you use with the Mixamp Pro TR that I tested in BO3.  It will not be as good as the X7 but not too far off.

Bastages are making me want to get an X7...I wish I could borrow one just to hear the difference.  I have a 2013 mixamp and some Sony open back cans (cans recommended by Zennon as well, thanks, Zen).  Birthday's in June...time to start with the subliminal messages and overtly dropping some waking hour hints.  Those hints won't be trying to get her to contribute to the awesomeness...just not to react in an anti awesomeness fashion when I bring home that pound of bacon that is the X7.

Much sympathy for the puppy incident.  Not to be a smarty pants, but I took some velco and tacked my mixamp down to the desk for that very reason.  

Major I got myself the phillips fidelo x2's with the mix amp 2013, it is sublime so much depth you can hear into the screen right down into the map and width for behind walls etc.

If you are looking to spend money for a greater experience this may be the way for you to go.

Out of all the can's I have tried with the mix amp the synergy between these is the best i have witnessed to date.

An amp can make minimal difference %  but headphones can make a major difference no pun intended ;)

Amp's that are capable to drive certain headphone's may have a slight sound signature change or different tonality, but it is the headphones that make the biggest change I have found in my audiophile adventure.

Nice Zen, thanks for that. So at check out with Sony and Phillips I enter ZEN in the discount code and I'll receive 10% off? Did you get one for a DSLreports membership too?

Thanks again brother. I'll check it out! I wo enter Zen at checkout just to see what happens!

:)

I usually go for the Beyerdamic, Sennheiser, Audeze, Stax type of headphones but I find the odd cheaper HP's and was shocked by a mainstream manufacturer making quality stuff.

Yes, take a look back through our messages.  I provided a link for it and a link for how to get the chat working with Xbox.

UK can you please share that link that details how the X7 hooks up to an xbox for chat? This thread has me interested

I'll be honest - when I started the quest to "get gud" at CoD, I never suspected I would go this far.  It's almost out of hand and this is kind of my last ditch effort to try and reach some enjoyment and playability with the game.

New controllers, new headset, new X7, and now I have tacked on a new desk, setting up a gaming room, and getting another monthly bill for a line I intend to use 90% purely for gaming.

Now I am extremely fortunate to be in a position where the costs aren't budget breaking, but there needs to be a point where I've made MORE than enough effort to try and get an enjoyable experience.

I'll be keeping some stats to compare to all the ones I have amassed during testing and basic game play.  The line will go in on Friday and I have taken a half day, so maybe I might even get online with the 2XP sweats and give it a go.

One thing is for certain, if this doesn't do it, I am ready to find a new game or two because while I enjoy some aspects of BO3, the overall enjoyment has dropped drastically since the Beta

Agreed, at the end of the day the game is severely broken and nothing we do is going to fix it except for not buying it anymore. I'm searching for another game to play also. Been going back to rocket league recently....

As for headphones, I just got myself a Fiio E10K amp for my MDR-V6 headphones and it's been a pleasurable experience!

What would you recommend for Xbox 1 exclusively? I'm really behind on the headphone department currently using Turtle Beach X12s that I used on 360 with the adapter but they buzz like crazy when the controller is plugged in (which I would prefer so it uses the USB and not wireless) so I'm forced to use batteries in the controller right now.

Noise cancelling isn't needed as I play at night when the house is quiet. Would prefer whatever the best surround sound is that can be offered by the xbox one.

Latest Update:  Creative X7 still broken.  Warrantech insurance, sold through Amazon, can suck an entire bag of dicks as they are a scam artist operation and nothing more.

Filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau today/tomorrow.  Spent over three weeks running through automated hell to get the Creative registered with the "covering" insurance provider.  Filed my claim for a drop, the insurance was DROP and SPILL mind you, and it was rejected in less than 12 hours!   :angry: It's not the petty $27.99, I could care less about that, but it's the fucking principle.  You sell me "insurance", make it impossible to file a claim, then when I jump through all your hoops, you reject the claim in less than a night.  Fuck you!  We are nowhere NEAR done with this fight, fuckers!!  It's Scorched Earth time

So I contacted SoundBlaster and their customer service isn't great either.  I apparently need to take "Detailed images" of the damage, but they can't be larger than 1MB, and send them into the "service" e-mail address with some notes.  They, in turn, will review and advise what, if anything, can be done in a 24-72 hour time period.

So yeah.  Had I known any of this would have happened, I would have gone an entirely different route and waited until I had the command center set and isolated before I bought the expensive stuff.  Painful lesson learned there I am afraid.

Having gamed with this set up, and now back on my Astro A50's, I can honestly say this set up is definitely better.  It's far more expensive, so you may personally be past your budgets' Rate of Return on Investment and quickly entering into the Law of Diminishing returns...LOL

I'll be doing a thread on the new gaming center and will include some pics and an update of what becomes of the "black pyramid of nothingness" as it's currently being known..... :(

*sigh*  It was either me, or the dog, I can't assign blame either way as we were both there tripping and stumbling at the time.  Him over the wires and me over him, so gravity claims another victim.  :(

But Warrantech is in for a WORLD of hate because they are hot trash all day long.  #Bastards

*sigh*  It was either me, or the dog, I can't assign blame either way as we were both there tripping and stumbling at the time.  Him over the wires and me over him, so gravity claims another victim.  :(

But Warrantech is in for a WORLD of hate because they are hot trash all day long.  #Bastards

When all else fails BLAME THE DOG JD,that's how we do things... ;)

I'm sorry to hear that too as I know you really liked that set up as it is really nice with high end products.Hopefully you can get it sorted out and get another one or a refund or what ever you got in mind.

With that being said I would have loved to be sitting in your living room when this incident happened as I'm sure you were pissed and let fly a string of carefully thought out words that you know I would have been laughing my ass off.I would have been conflicted cuz something bad happened but nobody got hurt so I probably would have laughed... :D

I think I need to come and stay with you during your renovations so we can have some fun... :huh:

When all else fails BLAME THE DOG JD,that's how we do things... ;)

With that being said I would have loved to be sitting in your living room when this incident happened as I'm sure you were pissed and let fly a string of carefully thought out words that you know I would have been laughing my ass off.I would have been conflicted cuz something bad happened but nobody got hurt so I probably would have laughed... :D

I think I need to come and stay with you during your renovations so we can have some fun... :huh:

It was actually a middle of the night issue, not during a gaming session and at the time I didn't think anything of it as it didn't appear damaged.  It was well into the next day, or the day after, that I noticed and that is when the realization set in it was broke-broke and not something I could easily repair myself.

LOL - Given your limited lifting and moving about ass, that is all I need to really make next week tick.  Dealing with 15 things "in progress" and trying to work around you AND my wife....LOL

We are actually using a planning and executing method similar to what Iain and the boys are using in the office.  Garage door has become my Scrumboard and everything we plan to get done in the next (9) days is outlined, tasks needed to complete each small project are clear/concise and we have the ALL IMPORTANT name tags to place on tasks.  I'm planning on doing some documentation for my day job to show how this philosophy is for more than just developing code and use it as a training tool.

As to whether it will play out like I see it happening in my mind?  Well, stay tuned I guess?   :huh:

It was actually a middle of the night issue, not during a gaming session and at the time I didn't think anything of it as it didn't appear damaged.  It was well into the next day, or the day after, that I noticed and that is when the realization set in it was broke-broke and not something I could easily repair myself.

LOL - Given your limited lifting and moving about ass, that is all I need to really make next week tick.  Dealing with 15 things "in progress" and trying to work around you AND my wife....LOL

We are actually using a planning and executing method similar to what Iain and the boys are using in the office.  Garage door has become my Scrumboard and everything we plan to get done in the next (9) days is outlined, tasks needed to complete each small project are clear/concise and we have the ALL IMPORTANT name tags to place on tasks.  I'm planning on doing some documentation for my day job to show how this philosophy is for more than just developing code and use it as a training tool.

As to whether it will play out like I see it happening in my mind?  Well, stay tuned I guess?   :huh:

So what your saying is you wouldn't want me sitting around your house while your renovating,when I can't help you physically but would be full of verbal encouragement.I could shout motivating slogans to you while you work and offer helpful tips...LMAO.

That why I love ya brother... :D  and hope you guys get everything done in your time frame.

• 2 weeks later...

To JD! Remember about a month ago when I thought I was so savvy by saving 100$ on an X7? Well that 100$ almost ended up costing me my sanity. What I didn't read was the fine print...it said, we'll take your money and wait about a month to get you the item.

Guess who's coming to town? Yup today is the day. My wife was laughing at me last night because I've been reading up on 600 ohm headphones for the past month. Going with Beyerdynamics dt 880's

Guess who's coming to town? Yup today is the day. My wife was laughing at me last night because I've been reading up on 600 ohm headphones for the past month. Going with Beyerdynamics dt 880's

The 880 are very flat sounding headphone apparently, I have the Beyerdynamic t1 and they are also flat with me having to EQ the 30 and 60hz ranges up considerably.

If like like a bit of bass in your explosions you will have to EQ.

Out of my aray of headphones the best for gaming are the Philips fidelio x2's plenty of bass slam and the sound stage is huge they do better than my flagship Beyers, incredible.

I am at odds with Creative right now.  I was told to e-mail pictures to them of the damage and they would get me sorted.

"Get me sorted" to them apparently was them looking at the damage in the pictures and sending a form letter that basically said "That sucks, that's on you, we don't do repairs and this isn't covered under our "comprehensive" warranty".

So I blew a head gasket and sent them a response with my intent.  Basically publicly denouncing them at every turn and filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which is pretty much the only way to get a company to do anything "fair" in this day and age.

Suddenly today I got a personalized e-mail from a higher up asking for a couple of different pics and a couple of questions (is the thing entirely busted, or just the jack for the Senn headphones, etc).  I plan to respond with what was asked and see what the downstream is, but I will say I am thoroughly UNIMPRESSED with their service thus far.  Coming on the heels of the disaster with the "purchase this insurance to cover your product against drops and spills" from Warrentech, via Amazon and I be a completely pissed off customer.

I do think the thing works great and provides excellent sound.  But get yourself a Pelican case and store the damn thing inside there, because if ANYTHING goes wrong with it, you are kind of fucked on an island of no sound by yourself.  :angry:

Archived