Halo 5 Geo-filter is working, it's amazing!

Netduma Fraser

Just wanted to show this to all users no matter where you play from.

"Here's a little real time ping. Mind you, I'm locked to the nearest server to my home in the Midwest, the dedicated server is less than 75 miles from my doorstep.

Warping, no hit detection, you know, all the stuff this thread is accustomed to....

Initial spike over 300ms, next over 100ms, next over 200ms, the final, 374ms.

For those that don't speak milliseconds....

Over a 3 second delay, 1 second delay, over a year 2 delay, followed by nearly a 4 second delay.

Screen shot.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A075FC8293E7A5B2!9896&authkey=!AAYsCZLkpe7ZhMo&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

This is not a netduma complaint, this is a 343i complaint.

To the folks that program this little box, my hats are off to you. You've sincerely made my halo 5 experience 100 times better than it has been. If it wasn't for the features programmer in your router, even with the Wireshark captures I made, I would have never been able to see my real time ping to the best server I could possible play on. You guys rock!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks a ton for digging into it Jlongx83 and XtreamJay, this is an awesome found you did there from which the entire H5 community will benefit

what really makes me wonder though is how the network programmers at 343i could miss that over so much month now

All my games in the last days were on the closest eu server. I don't know if it depends on the latest cloud update or on the 343 febrary update. I tried to play with both geofilter on and off, and i still connect to the closest eu server every match.

To Fraser, Further Test Results:

I played all night with my Halo 5 team (40+) games.  BTW, apparently I'm like #370ish in the world for most games played (too much free time I suppose).  Anyway, My team consisted of one from Alaska, one from Colorado, one from Indiana, and myself-California.  We used the Xbox party chat (this is important to note).  I was the fireteam lead.  We were able to successfully get the west coast servers every time with no boots back to lobby.  About halfway through, I switched over to the Chicago servers by moving my home on the geofilter, restarting Halo, and reassembling my fire team with myself as the fire team lead.  We were then able to get the northern servers every time.  To be honest, I did not notice a significant difference in the play.  However, the one issue was the party chat.  With the geofilter set it would take a few try to get into our team party chat or to have my team join my party.  It eventually worked, but took a few times.  I would see the yellow triangle appear the disappear on the map whenever one of my team was trying to connect.  I also used port forwarding throughout the night with the following port forwards: 3074 UDP/TCP, 3075 UDP, 3544 UDP, 88 UDP, 443 UDP/TCP and Halo specific 60000-65000 UDP.  Some of these forwards may not be needed or desired, but I felt that it was important to note my test conditions.  I did not use congestion control or hyper, and I have UPNP disabled. If the NETDUMA team has found the best Halo 5 port forward config with the new software and Halo 5 service, please post.  I also captured some video of the ping spikes discussed earlier, although after reviewing the video I am less confident in the TCP ACK correlation.  In fact, I could not find any cause for the spikes based on the wireshark time stamps.  Both the server ping graph and wireshark packet capture are presented in the video. The video is about 1.5 min, you will see a period of low ping with the spike towards the end of the video.  This particular game was relatively calm in terms of spikes as other games have had spike more frequently.  I tend to notice spikes more when engaged in a firefight, but don't have any evidence to support that.

https://youtu.be/9VQ1BPDrqKo

So after using the new Halo 5 Geo Filter, when I search for a fireteam, sometimes we get these games where everyone is so laggy it's literally unplayable i've never had this problem before.  Where I would be shooting someone and they would literally just disappear, gone, don't know where they went.  Sometimes it doesn't do this, but maybe 1/3 games it gives us this terrible lag so i just let someone else search for the fireteam instead of myself and it seems to make the laggy games not so laggy. What is causing this?

• Administrators

found out about this late

is my old Halo 5 Service + new cloud update compatible?

or do i need to update my Halo 5 Service in the geo-filter?

Yes that will work just fine :)

I'm running 1.03.5m is it the correct version to play Halo 5 with the server within my range ?

.6 would be better so you have the Halo 5 specific service but it should still work with .5 using XBL service and latest cloud.

To Fraser, Further Test Results:

I played all night with my Halo 5 team (40+) games.  BTW, apparently I'm like #370ish in the world for most games played (too much free time I suppose).  Anyway, My team consisted of one from Alaska, one from Colorado, one from Indiana, and myself-California.  We used the Xbox party chat (this is important to note).  I was the fireteam lead.  We were able to successfully get the west coast servers every time with no boots back to lobby.  About halfway through, I switched over to the Chicago servers by moving my home on the geofilter, restarting Halo, and reassembling my fire team with myself as the fire team lead.  We were then able to get the northern servers every time.  To be honest, I did not notice a significant difference in the play.  However, the one issue was the party chat.  With the geofilter set it would take a few try to get into our team party chat or to have my team join my party.  It eventually worked, but took a few times.  I would see the yellow triangle appear the disappear on the map whenever one of my team was trying to connect.  I also used port forwarding throughout the night with the following port forwards: 3074 UDP/TCP, 3075 UDP, 3544 UDP, 88 UDP, 443 UDP/TCP and Halo specific 60000-65000 UDP.  Some of these forwards may not be needed or desired, but I felt that it was important to note my test conditions.  I did not use congestion control or hyper, and I have UPNP disabled. If the NETDUMA team has found the best Halo 5 port forward config with the new software and Halo 5 service, please post.  I also captured some video of the ping spikes discussed earlier, although after reviewing the video I am less confident in the TCP ACK correlation.  In fact, I could not find any cause for the spikes based on the wireshark time stamps.  Both the server ping graph and wireshark packet capture are presented in the video. The video is about 1.5 min, you will see a period of low ping with the spike towards the end of the video.  This particular game was relatively calm in terms of spikes as other games have had spike more frequently.  I tend to notice spikes more when engaged in a firefight, but don't have any evidence to support that.

https://youtu.be/9VQ1BPDrqKo

We haven't done a specific Halo 5 port forward. I would say use congestion control and see if those spikes disappear.

So after using the new Halo 5 Geo Filter, when I search for a fireteam, sometimes we get these games where everyone is so laggy it's literally unplayable i've never had this problem before.  Where I would be shooting someone and they would literally just disappear, gone, don't know where they went.  Sometimes it doesn't do this, but maybe 1/3 games it gives us this terrible lag so i just let someone else search for the fireteam instead of myself and it seems to make the laggy games not so laggy. What is causing this?

It shouldn't have added lag but rather made it a lot easier to get games within your radius. What's your average ping to the game when playing?

Where can I get .6 firmware?

Currently being what we think will be final testing and should be out soon.  No release date, but as always, stalk Netduma_Iain on Twitter for the updates.

• Administrators

My average ping is between 80 and 100ms And it can still be super laggy/jumpy OR buttery smooth and the ping doesn't differ much

What is your base ping?

What firmware version comes installed on a new Netduma if I were to buy one this week?

Are there any other settings that need to be configured other than selecting the "Halo5" service?

You'd get the newest version .6

Make sure you enable auto&bleeding edge cloud and apply.

Is there any official information from Netduma regarding the connections to EU servers since the latest updates on Halo5 that allegedly have implemented region lock? Are all EU players now playing on EU servers? If so, is there any need to purchase a Netduma router whilst this may (or may not) be the case?

Edit: for the record, I'm not convinced that I'm playing on EU servers as I feel no noticeable difference in connection quality and have no way of testing on my current Sky router as far as I'm aware. The only thing that points to the fact that I may be is that I'm unable to find games in certain playlists after midnight.

• Administrators

Is there any official information from Netduma regarding the connections to EU servers since the latest updates on Halo5 that allegedly have implemented region lock? Are all EU players now playing on EU servers? If so, is there any need to purchase a Netduma router whilst this may (or may not) be the case?

Edit: for the record, I'm not convinced that I'm playing on EU servers as I feel no noticeable difference in connection quality and have no way of testing on my current Sky router as far as I'm aware. The only thing that points to the fact that I may be is that I'm unable to find games in certain playlists after midnight.

No info but it's something we'll have to look into. 

If anyone wants to help from EU, disable the Geo-filter and see how much you get put on EU servers

• 3 weeks later...

I see about 4 server dots on the map in all of north america. After pinging them I've decided that the west coast one is the lowest ping to me. 35ms. So setting my Geo Filter so that it encapsulates just the one server only gets me into a loop where it continues to try to put me on a server that's on the other coast and has a much higher ping. Then I get booted out and have to restart and just continue to keep pulling the same server. Anyway to force Halo 5 software to consider another server?

I see about 4 server dots on the map in all of north america. After pinging them I've decided that the west coast one is the lowest ping to me. 35ms. So setting my Geo Filter so that it encapsulates just the one server only gets me into a loop where it continues to try to put me on a server that's on the other coast and has a much higher ping. Then I get booted out and have to restart and just continue to keep pulling the same server. Anyway to force Halo 5 software to consider another server?

I don't know about Halo specifically, but there are ways to camp remote servers and force connections in other games.  This thread may help you in that effort.

As an update to this. I prefer the California server as it pings 35ms. All other north american servers ping at 80ms or higher. It attempts anywhere between 5-10 times to get on this one specific server in Texas and obviously I have that server set outside the geo zone so it refuses to connect me which I like. Once It connects me to the Cali server though, as long as I keep playing it seems to keep giving me that server. As soon as I turn off the xbox, I have to go through the cycle of it trying to connect me to Texas a bunch of times before it gives me the Cali one again. Kinda crazy that it persistently tries to give me one specific server when there is obviously a better one out there for me in particular. Anyways, it sure plays nice once I do end up getting the server I want. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello friends. A week ago the netduma and I have a problem with halo 5. I'm from the Canary Islands in Spain and the game did not connect to the server rarely Ireland that is the closest . Most of the time the game connects me in east Usa and when I use the geofilter to find only in Europe play me off. I think I do everything well :

load profile Halo 5, select halo 5 in geo filter, cloud correctly , pin assistan 0 and strict mode .

That could be happening?

Archived