Adding good/low ping hosts to filter?

First i have to say thank you for all the support and help from Netduma crew! My router is up an running and it's awesome. Really nice to se the ping stats and how the geo filter is working!

I'm wondering how to add a good host with low ping to the filter?

When i look at "host descriptor" you can edit name and increase "quality" bar. What to do next? Just click on update? After that i really don't know how.. ? "recent players list" ? 

Game: Cod:AW.

Guest Netduma_Iain

So glad you're enjoying it.  Ya click the host circle and the "Host Descriptor" dialog appears below.

Then you can give it an apt name like "Nice Host" and give it a rating out of 100. Click update and its added. Below you'll see the circle appear on what I like to call the "Allow & Deny curtains". If the circle is inside the green curtain its always allowed, and if its in the red curtain its always denied. You can drag the curtains by using the little trinagles underneath them. 

Does that make sense? If not let me know please :)

You can't really get accurate ping of an opponent, because the true ping for him is from his xbox to the host. But you can get a ping from you to him, which will give you a rough estimate of his ping.  Basically just select his circle and run the ping feature again. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

No unfortunately not at the moment. Xbl traffic is encrypted and I suspect PS is as well. Takes a bit of trial n error, but really the player shouldn't matter its his awful connection that does :P

Ok i'll try after work.

Is there a way to find out what the gamertag is of the host? 

Exactly what Iain stated, pulling your gamertag or the gamertags or the other people in the lobby requires a rooted xbox (which is a violation of xbox live service agreement).  More importantly this wouldn't be possible purely from the router.

Hope this helps.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Teh1,

When you ping the host(the largest circle) that is your ping. The definition of ping is the time it takes for a packet to go from you to the host and back again. 

The trace button shows you the route packets take to get to the destination. Don't read too much into the results of that, its kinda of a cool feature for network nerds :)

So I know that is a low ping does anything else play into lag. I know I'm not asking that correctly but what I'm saying is one match my connection seems great and I'm pretty much unstoppable lol then the next match seems to play a little worst. Not bad by far buy I can notice a difference all the while mybping is staying the same.

Guest Netduma Fraser

So I know that is a low ping does anything else play into lag. I know I'm not asking that correctly but what I'm saying is one match my connection seems great and I'm pretty much unstoppable lol then the next match seems to play a little worst. Not bad by far buy I can notice a difference all the while mybping is staying the same.

Lag is a subjective experience. The ping is a good way to get an objective analysis on it but there are other metrics such as packet loss, jitter etc that contributes to a lesser experience. Ping is the most important though.

Not complain ing at all just trying to understand my router completely so I can use it to its best abilities.

No no, thank you for posting, we want the same as you, to give you the best gaming experience possible. 

Archived