Bufferbloat A+

zombitroid

Hi everyone! Im wondering if any of you out there have any idea how to go from an A bufferbloat rating to an A+ rating. (Im talking about the dslreports.com speedtest) I understand that if you consistently get A+ on the bufferbloat then you know that your Congestion Control settings are perfect. Thing is, I have gone percent by percent through my Congestion Control Settings and I cannot find a percentage that gives me an A+ rating.

Do any of you get an A+ rating on bufferbloat? What is the trick?

Thank you!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Zombitroid - I may be able to assist

Assuming you can get an 'A' and are searching for the A+, is it safe that you are hardlining into the router?  Not over wifi in other words.

Keep in mind that dslreports is a US owned company (I don't know this, I cheat and read Zennon's Grail of Gaming Posts) and I believe they are having you ping a US based server for testing.  Do you live outside of the continental US by any chance?

Another thing to keep in mind is that all you are doing is trying to "buffer" your local congestion with this testing.  If you have massive ping spikes in the line outside of your house, this isn't going to do anything to address those issues as they are outside of the area of influence this device has currently (and it doesn't make coffee, which keeps coming up in the suggestion slot ;))

Ping Plotter is a software you can download and run several timed tests, back and forth from a known server, to test the outside line and see if you don't have an ISP issue you are fighting as well.

Hi everyone! Im wondering if any of you out there have any idea how to go from an A bufferbloat rating to an A+ rating. (Im talking about the dslreports.com speedtest) I understand that if you consistently get A+ on the bufferbloat then you know that your Congestion Control settings are perfect. Thing is, I have gone percent by percent through my Congestion Control Settings and I cannot find a percentage that gives me an A+ rating.

Thank you!!!

I can get A+ on Bufferbloat once my sliders get to 75-70%, but if you watch the meter on the test I still see a huge lag spike in the download portion of the test.  The jitter will surge about 3/4 of the way through the test anywhere from 300-500ms and is sustained for a couple seconds. even with that surge I get an A+ score.  It's not until I reduce the Download slider to 40-45% that the surge is gone.  This happens on either preemptive or reactive algorithhm.  

FYI I have a Verizon Fios service, it's 50 mbps upload and 50 mbps download. After I finish with the BB testing usually my dslreportsspeed test scores are A+, A+ F

Keep in mind that dslreports is a US owned company (I don't know this, I cheat and read Zennon's Grail of Gaming Posts) and I believe they are having you ping a US based server for testing.  Do you live outside of the continental US by any chance?

I may have jumped the gun here Dillinger they report to have global servers for speed tests.

I have TWC 50/5 speeds.  I can get A and A+ using 90/90.  If I get below 90, my BB will get a little worse.  The optimal for me is around 90/90.  I can run it multiple times (without anyone else on the network) and get changes from A to A+.

I have TWC 50/5 speeds.  I can get A and A+ using 90/90.  If I get below 90, my BB will get a little worse. 

I used to run 70% each way on 6/1 with no issues to stop my son from lagging the connection, if this is of any help.

Im in the U.S, no massive ping spikes on my line. I usually get a good ping on speedtest.net. 20-26 ms. My base ping is 20-22 ms. Maybe my network just isnt cut out for A+ ratings

Well, being in the US handles that concern, along with what 'Z' posted above.

Here is where the watching of the gauge will come into play.  Have you watched the tach looking gauge to see if you are getting any spikes that take the gauge from green to yellow or possibly even into the red?

I believe this is based on an average for the time of the run, so a couple of ping spikes may be enough to give you an 'A', but still give you less than ideal protection.  If you are seeing that gauge move from Green, into yellow or red, you don't have enough slider protection.  Decreasing the sliders may give you better protection, but will most likely sacrifice your overall speed*.

*again, if you are the only one in the house, not an issue.  If you are doing this as part of a normal household, it CAN affect other folks' internet experience. 

Thank you!!!

I would have to say that I can only achieve an A+ rating on everything except the speed when I use the Netduma's congestion control. My other router, which is really good cannot achieve this. First, I have my download and upload set at different percentages, not equal. I first adjust the download so that it doesn't spike above 13-14 mill. , Then I slowly adjust the upload percentage. I recently switched to a different internet package from Comcast, downgraded my speeds to 75 down/ 5 up from 175 down, 10 up. I have my down set to 90 % and my upload to 63 %, and it is rock solid for over 3 days now. Granted my upload speed isn't much, my connection feels much snappier than with the full speeds set. It takes time and tinkering, but it can be done! 

Oh, also make sure NO ONE is online, it will spike it instantly! I conducted my test over wifi and realized my wife was messing around upstairs and couldn't for the life of me get even a C rating! 

This is a very interesting test...if only I knew what it meant.

On a 120Mbps Down / 2.5 Mbps Up cable connection, with a solid Idle Latency of 29ms across all tests to the NSW Australia server, I get these results when playing with NetDuma > Congestion Control -

100% Up / 100% Down

BufferBloat: C, Quality: D, Speed: A

90% Up / 90% Down

BufferBloat: C, Quality: A, Speed: A

80% Up / 80% Down

BufferBloat: D, Quality: A+, Speed: A

70% Up / 70% Down

BufferBloat: C, Quality: A+, Speed: A

60% Up / 60% Down

BufferBloat: A+, Quality: A, Speed: B

50% Up / 50% Down

BufferBloat: A+, Quality: A+, Speed: B

Further tweaking for the best possible overall ratings yielded these results -

60% Up / 90% Down

BufferBloat: A, Quality: A, Speed: A

60% Up / 80% Down

BufferBloat: A+, Quality: A+, Speed: A

60% Up / 75% Down

60% Up / 70% Down

65% Up / 75% Down

What's my take-away here? The magical numbers seem to be 60% Up and 75% Down as the threshold limits, but what does it actually mean?

I get that for the best possible connection I want BufferBloat at A+ without compromising my Speed of A. However, isn't CC going to be redundant in the next firmware upgrade? How will that affect BufferBloat and should BufferBloat be a genuine concern?

If nothing else, the DLSReports results (assuming they're accurate and meaningful) demonstrate that the NetDuma is doing something to improve our internet connections and that 70/70 is a solid starting point for optimising Congestion Control.

By the way, DLSReports also has a ping test at http://www.dslreports.com/tools/pingtest.

Have you tried running your speed tests comparing the effect of the preemptive or reactive algorithms? I can only get an A+ rating with Reactive. I don't mind loosing a bit of speed as raw speed is not so important when playing online games where you typically only need 100Kbs to 1Mbs of bandwidth. 

is it ok to have your CC bars set to different levels? I mean you are supposed to leave the bars at the same percentage always.

They can be set at different %s yes. 

you are so lucky to have speeds and grades like that. I cant get A+ bufferbloat for the life of me.

You may not be able to get an A+ with those speeds. 

Definitely not on Upload. 

If your Quality is an A+, you should be good with those speeds. 

Try starting at 70% for each like the Devs suggest. 

What are your exact speeds you put as your bandwidth, 120.00Down and 2.50Up?

This is a very interesting test...if only I knew what it meant.

On a 120Mbps Down / 2.5 Mbps Up cable connection, with a solid Idle Latency of 29ms across all tests to the NSW Australia server, I get these results when playing with NetDuma > Congestion Control -

100% Up / 100% Down

BufferBloat: C, Quality: D, Speed: A

90% Up / 90% Down

BufferBloat: C, Quality: A, Speed: A

80% Up / 80% Down

BufferBloat: D, Quality: A+, Speed: A

70% Up / 70% Down

60% Up / 60% Down

BufferBloat: A+, Quality: A, Speed: B

50% Up / 50% Down

Further tweaking for the best possible overall ratings yielded these results -

60% Up / 90% Down

BufferBloat: A, Quality: A, Speed: A

60% Up / 80% Down

60% Up / 75% Down

60% Up / 70% Down

65% Up / 75% Down

What's my take-away here? The magical numbers seem to be 60% Up and 75% Down as the threshold limits, but what does it actually mean? At those values, BufferBloat doesn't creep by more than +7ms, with a spike of maybe 14ms at the start of the test.

I'm assuming for the best possible connection I want BufferBloat at A+ without compromising my Speed of A, so I should punch these numbers into the CC setting on the NetDuma when gaming. However, isn't CC going to be redundant in the next firmware upgrade? How will that affect BufferBloat and should BufferBloat be a genuine concern?

If nothing else, the DLSReports results (assuming they're accurate and meaningful) demonstrate that the NetDuma is doing something to improve our internet connections and that 70/70 is a solid starting point for optimising Congestion Control.

By the way, DLSReports has a ping test at http://www.dslreports.com/tools/pingtest, which is handy if, like me, Pingtest.net doesn't work properly because of Java (Ping of 9ms, Jitter of 2ms, can't test Packet Loss). I get an A+ ping rating at DLSReports with a 25-26ms ping to the AU server with a +PDV of 1.5 to 2.5ms. Does PDV = Jitter? I'm assuming so...best to ask.

Archived