How to find YOUR best settings.

Hello to "Netduma Army"  :)

First of all i want to say that i am not a "guru" in networking and this post or advice is to have something to start to find the settings that works best for YOU.

Let us not kid ourselves...the settings that "admins".."lain" and every other is for the start i think...(i don't say this for bad ok?  )

We live in different countrys...have different ISP's....have different internet lines...different speeds (upload-download)...so it's impossible these settings to work for everyone...maybe partially working some of them but not all of them.

Sooooo...we need to find these "sweet spot" for us. 

My equipment then and my internet is as follows...

VDSL2..50Mbps download...5Mbps upload (my actual speed is 45-48 for download and 4,50-4,80 for upload)

Modem router:TPLink  TD-W9980 ----->Netduma---->PS3

1. I put Netduma in DMZ in TPLink

2. In TPLink i disable UPNP

3. I use Preemptive with "deep packet" ticked..look photo.

FqnrELm.png

4. Check your cables in every device you have if it is loose especially the red cable between your modem or router and R1...believe me it can raise your PING dramatically. ;)

5. Next go to dslreports and check your line..the best results is to have grading A+ in all of them...but especially you need  BufferBloat and Quality.....in Speed does not matter if you take A  ....games τhey require much less bandwidth than you think. :)

To do this play with sliders in congestion control  and check again and again until you get the values I mentioned earlier (A+)...see photo.

b2PtTyY.png

Uvh6QNJ.png

My PING Diagnostics...

5eqEhga.png

For my Geo location...ISP...and generally of all the infrastructure i have is the best I can get. 

I hope your internet infrastructure be better than mine and take better values.... 

The rest of my settings is...

VPN --->Disconnected

Port Forwarding--->none rule

UPnP--->Enable

DNS--->Automatic DNS

IPv6--->Disabled

MTU--->Auto MTU

DHCP Lease--->give in your device a specific IP address (PS3) ...it helps a lot i think and prevent any conficts that may occur...see photo.

C2v7VmX.png

To find MAC address..etc in PS3 go to Network Settings--->connection status list....write in a paper the MAC address you see....easy??? :) Something simillar i think it has XBox One and PS4.

The "valid number of IP" that i am saying in photo you can take it from DHCP server range...for example....

You see that i put the number "101" for my PS3...

So go to Netduma....Settings--->LAN--->DHCP  and  take a number from that range...see photo

AvdhB4k.png

Sooo as you see in photo's i choose "101"  so the IP that PS3 will take is "192.168.88.101" ..keep it that we will need it...

To set up a Static IP in your console follow these guides...

For PS3  when you go to "Custom" etc the IP that you must write is "192.168.88.101" ...Subnet Mask..255.255.255.0...

in Default router...write the IP of Netduma that you use to login...for my example is 192.168.88.1...

Primary DNS....the same ...192.168.88.1

Secondary DNS ...leave it 0.0.0.0...

MTU...aytomatic...

Proxy Server...do not use...

UPnP....enable...

check connection..if you did everything correctly your NAT type will be 2...and in game will show that your NAT type is open... 

For PS4   From the main menu, choose Settings....select Network....select Set Up Internet Connection....

Choose Wifi or LAN Cable depending on how your local network is set up.

On the screen titled "How do you want to set up the Internet connection?," choose Custom

On the IP Address Settings screen, choose Manual

Select IP Address

Enter the number that you have chosen for the IP address. Select Done (remember as i said before?101?..write "192.168.88.101" for IP)

Select Subnet Mask (etc 255.255.255.0)
Select Done
Select Default Gateway, enter your router's IP address(etc 192.168.88.1). Select Done
Select Primary DNS (write routers IP etc 192.168.88.1 as i said before)
Select Done
Select Secondary DNS...leave it 0.0.0.0 or blank.
Select Done
Select Next
On the MTU Settings screen, choose Automatic

Select Subnet Mask....(255.255.255.0  etc)

Select Done

Select Default Gateway, enter your router's IP address(etc 192.168.88.1. Select Done

Select Primary DNS...write the IP that you use to login in Netduma...etc 192.168.88.1

Select Secondary DNS  ...leave it 0.0.0.0 or blank.

Select Done

Select Next

On the MTU Settings screen, choose Automatic

On the Proxy Server screen, choose Do Not Use

Select Test Internet Connection. Wait while the connection is tested. :)

For Xbox One  

Go to the home screen and push the menu button on the controller

Select Settings

Select Network

Select Advanced settings

select IP settings

Select Manual

Type in the IP address you have chosen (etc "192.168.88.101") and select Enter

Type in the subnet mask ( etc 255.255.255.0)

Select Enter

Type in your gateway which is your router's internal IP address (etc 192.168.88.1) and select Enter

Go back to the advanced settings screen...

Choose DNS settings

Type in the Primary DNS address (etc 192.168.88.1 is Netduma IP that you use to login) then select Enter

Type in the Secondary DNS address(leave it 0.0.0.0 or blank) and select Enter

On the Advanced settings screen choose Save

Go back to the Network settings screen, choose Test network connection

The test will run and check your network connection status. Wait while the test runs.

When the test is finished you should see the "It's all good" message. :)

I hope I helped you!

Because you use Netduma to connect to your primary router or modem....Netduma is behind your router or modem...that's why you put it in DMZ in your primary....you don't use it to connect directly to your ISP.

Because you use Netduma to connect to your primary router or modem....Netduma is behind your router or modem...that's why you put it in DMZ in your primary....you don't use it to connect directly to your ISP.

Ah ok I understand. Thank you.

Knomax:

I wanted you to know that because of your guide, I finally have "open" NAT on my XB1 that was forever "Moderate". 

Giving my consoles (+ PS4) static IP addresses is what did it, so KUDOS to you on this fantastic and easy to follow guide :)

Glad you got now open NAT ... As I said before  to give a static IP on devices almost always solves problems not creates.

Giving static IP avoids conflicts  that may exist for some reason.

Anyway the point is to make our job. :)

But only when using 2 routers and placing one in DMZ? Currently I am only using the R1 only behind my modem so I do not have to do this?

But only when using 2 routers and placing one in DMZ? Currently I am only using the R1 only behind my modem so I do not have to do this?

This is my setup as well (TWC modem --> R1 Netduma --> Multiple devices). The TWC modem is in Bridge Mode (DMZ).

I gave everything a static IP and put the R1 as the Primary DNS on each one along with their own IP.

This is my setup as well (TWC modem --> R1 Netduma --> Multiple devices). The TWC modem is in Bridge Mode (DMZ).

I gave everything a static IP and put the R1 as the Primary DNS on each one along with their own IP.

As JConnor says...follow the guide...

All of your devices are connected to R1...so you write as Primary DNS the IP you login in R1...etc 192.168.88.1...because your device communicate with R1.

The set up you have to use....your modem--->Netduma--->devices.

Look in your modem if it has DMZ...look in Netduma "Device Manager" page..you see "WAN IP"....copy this IP and paste in your modem DMZ.Why this??

DMZ will open all ports for this specific IP....so in our case all ports are know open for Netduma.

Next as guide says you must route these open ports in your device...that's why you set up a static IP in you device....everything must have continuity.

I hope not to confuse more.

Your PC must be wired to take "real" values...wireless isn't accurate and have losses or connect it as your console set up is...if your console is connected wireless when you play...do the tests the same way with your pc.And what algorithm do you use?Preemptive focus on ping and Reactive in bandwidth...use the same algorithm that you use when playing.Give a try and reboot your modem...after a minute connect R1....go in login page and reboot it from "Miscellaneous Settings"....wait a minute...open your pc...open your browser...delete cache from your browser and start the tests....in your browser open only in tab the Netduma page in CC to play with Download/Upload and a second tab with dslreports test....start the test...do not hurt at all until finish the test...don't change tab until finish.

See the results..make you change in CC and do it again...I'm pretty sure that you will get better values. :)

As JConnor says...follow the guide...

All of your devices are connected to R1...so you write as Primary DNS the IP you login in R1...etc 192.168.88.1...because your device communicate with R1.

The set up you have to use....your modem--->Netduma--->devices.

Look in your modem if it has DMZ...look in Netduma "Device Manager" page..you see "WAN IP"....copy this IP and paste in your modem DMZ.Why this??

DMZ will open all ports for this specific IP....so in our case all ports are know open for Netduma.

Next as guide says you must route these open ports in your device...that's why you set up a static IP in you device....everything must have continuity.

I hope not to confuse more.

I have WISP (radio signal) and I dont technically have a modem just a power box that I connect my Netduma directly into.  Will this setup work for me?

I am going to try it tonight.  I am having problems with my mic cutting out for certain players in party chat and I am always the one getting kicked from the party in game all while playing with geo-filter off.  I have tried a million different things but nothing has changed at all.  My old router is doing the same thing.

Your PC must be wired to take "real" values...wireless isn't accurate and have losses or connect it as your console set up is...if your console is connected wireless when you play...do the tests the same way with your pc.And what algorithm do you use?Preemptive focus on ping and Reactive in bandwidth...use the same algorithm that you use when playing.Give a try and reboot your modem...after a minute connect R1....go in login page and reboot it from "Miscellaneous Settings"....wait a minute...open your pc...open your browser...delete cache from your browser and start the tests....in your browser open only in tab the Netduma page in CC to play with Download/Upload and a second tab with dslreports test....start the test...do not hurt at all until finish the test...don't change tab until finish.

See the results..make you change in CC and do it again...I'm pretty sure that you will get better values. :)

Use pre, and PC is wired to r1, as is xb1. Seemed to play better actually, had some wtf moments, but better. May be just good server, will try again soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to the OP, very good guide.

I have encountered an issue though...

Pretty sure I've followed this guide well and I've seen the results via dslreport. The issue is to do with Destiny, surprise surprise

From going from, the Geo working quite well for me, apart from servers that have not been added to the cloud yet. To now it now no longer seems to work at all. I'm now matching with people all over the world.

Now I must say that my connection feels a lot more solid, which I'm putting down to this guide. But is there a possibility that I've undone my setup for Destiny by doing so?

Play with Preemptive and Reactive...Preemptive focus on ping...Reactive focus on speed (download/upload)....so i think you must try Reactive and play with bars...But eventually no matter the speed on consoles....they require very little speed what matters is bufferbloat and quality..in these two thinks you must focus.

how did you get an A for speed on dsl reports - i'm at 40/10 and i get an F?  btw, nice setup guide!

Are you doing the test over the wireless by any chance?  If so, hardwire your laptop/PC to the router and try the test again. :)

Archived