Preemptive or Reactive?

JP003

Hi I have Sky fibre pro 80 meg Down 20 Meg up and was wondering which setting would benefit me most for Gaming, preemptive or Reactive?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

JP

I personally think experimenting yourself is the best option

Test both and see which works best for you :)

Hey JP,

I think Asentrix said it best.  If you read other posts on the forum you'll see advocates on both sides of that coin.  I have a fiber connection 50/50 down/up.  For gaming I'll usually place it on Preemptive.  It seems the best.  However if I run a speed test in Preemptive I don't get my full speeds from my ISP.  It usually ends up in the low 40's for speeds on Preemptive.  This speed is fine on my network.  There is never any buffering when netflix is running or other network elements are active. These lower speeds on Preemptive didn't use to be the case. This is only since the .5m update that was released about 1.5 - 2 months ago.  If I place my R1 on the Reactive algorithm I get my full speeds but I experience more issues with bullet registration...like unloading half a clip on someone point blank and getting smoked in 1 or 2 bullets from the foe.  It's hard to tell what causes this, but to me, the games feel much more even on Preemptive

Preemptive is more ping oriented. It tries to keep jitter to a minimum and bandwidth is not a priority.

Reactive is more bandwidth oriented. Bandwidth is a priority and ping is secondary.

But like the fellow dumamates said above try it out for yourself because sometimes it's more subjective than objective.

Hey JP,

I think Asentrix said it best.  If you read other posts on the forum you'll see advocates on both sides of that coin.  I have a fiber connection 50/50 down/up.  For gaming I'll usually place it on Preemptive.  It seems the best.  However if I run a speed test in Preemptive I don't get my full speeds from my ISP.  It usually ends up in the low 40's for speeds on Preemptive.  This speed is fine on my network.  There is never any buffering when netflix is running or other network elements are active. These lower speeds on Preemptive didn't use to be the case. This is only since the .5m update that was released about 1.5 - 2 months ago.  If I place my R1 on the Reactive algorithm I get my full speeds but I experience more issues with bullet registration...like unloading half a clip on someone point blank and getting smoked in 1 or 2 bullets from the foe.  It's hard to tell what causes this, but to me, the games feel much more even on Preemptive

Thanks for the input.  I too experience exactly the same on a down load test, preemptive is much less and reactive back up to full download speed.  I have been running it on preemptive which has been working pretty well, don't fancy unloading half a clip to die from a couple of bullets lol

Preemptive is more ping oriented. It tries to keep jitter to a minimum and bandwidth is not a priority.

Reactive is more bandwidth oriented. Bandwidth is a priority and ping is secondary.

But like the fellow dumamates said above try it out for yourself because sometimes it's more subjective than objective.

Thanks for the advice, if im using PA on the filter then it surely makes more sense to use preemptive as the game doesn't benefit from having excessive bandwith!

I get 300 down and 30 up but I use the Preemptive setting and it plays better that way for me. Test it out until you find that sweet spot.

Archived