Sky fibre

Hi, I'm trying to set up the R1, but I'm stuck/confused/not very techie...lol.

I'm on sky fibre, and I'm currently plug into the router. Sky uses a bt modem for fibre which has my sky routor plugged into, which in turn has my R1 plugged in. (Phew..lol) The device manager on my R1 is telling me I need to "enable DMZ" on my sky router to sort out possible "closed NAT". I've tried "test connection" on my PS3 and it can't detect a NAT type. My sky router hasn't got an on/off DMZ .....just a series of numbers?....Any help plz...xxx

Hi, I'm trying to set up the R1, but I'm stuck/confused/not very techie...lol.

I'm on sky fibre, and I'm currently plug into the router. Sky uses a bt modem for fibre which has my sky routor plugged into, which in turn has my R1 plugged in. (Phew..lol) The device manager on my R1 is telling me I need to "enable DMZ" on my sky router to sort out possible "closed NAT". I've tried "test connection" on my PS3 and it can't detect a NAT type. My sky router hasn't got an on/off DMZ .....just a series of numbers?....Any help plz...xxx

hi there what sky router have you got so i know how best to advise you here

Hi ,

Model is : SR101

Firmware : 1.15m.3734.r

Ok in your sky router.. go into the admin panel with the R! connected

Find what the ip address of the R! is and make sure that is assigned a static ip

Then go into the WAN settings and add that ip address into the dmz 

make sure respond to ping is ticked then hit apply

that should solve this issue for you .

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hi, can't seem to find the "assign a static ip " ?

Can you take a picture of your router control panel and we can try and help you locate where that option might be? 

Guest Netduma Luke

I might be wrong here being the non-techie of Netduma but I think you may not actually have an issue at all here:

1. Is your PS3 Working normally?

2. Is your Netduma R1 working as expected?

If yes to both then I think the blue screen you are reading on the device manager should be ignored. It's just a warning that you might need to take an action if you have a strict NAT, rather than there actually being an issue if that makes sense. See this link:

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/16-bt-home-hub-5/?do=findComment&comment=147

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Tubbie, hopefully I can help, as I think most people are asleep now.

Can you find a section called DMZ? If so, where it asks what to put in the DMZ. Choose the IP address 192.168.0.2, and you should be good to go!

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Tubbie.t,

Did you manage to resolve the NAT issue using the DMZ?

To answer your question about right distance, it depends on where you live, the time you play, the population size of the playlist and if you have an open NAT. Now that you have an open NAT its probably just a case of trial and error. 

But feel free to ask more questions about geo-filter, I'll be happy to answer  :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

You don't have to. But I'd highly recommend it. If you don't they can make you lag because the R1 can't control them. If you put behind the R1 then it can manage everything and you can control using congestion control section. But choice is yours :) 

If its the wireless installation thats bothering you. I recommend you go to the R1 and change its Wifi name to your old one and give it the same password. Then disable wifi on your sky router. All devices will now connect to the R1 instead. 

I can help either way. 

Hi, I only hardwire my consoles (PS3, ps4) which is really the only reason I got R1. When Im setting bandwith, do I go with wired or wireless results? I've played a few games (aw cod) on PS3 last night and noticed a BIG difference. It did kick me from a few lobby's which I thought was strange. But apart from that it was like I was playing a different game...lol. Thanks for your help, I'll try your suggestions out later.

Guest Netduma_Iain

I would always recommend wired over wifi for gaming. In fact I'd always recommend wired over wifi for anything. Personally I use homeplugs when I can.

Wired is pretty much in every way other than you need a wire lol

Guest Netduma_Iain

We are working on an automatic fix. For the time being either just search a little longer, or increase your geofilter slightly. Can you screenshot it at the moment please? 

Hi, I've change DMZ as suggested. Everthing seems ok. I've only been on PS3 up until now. I've just end booted ps4 up so I will let you know if problem persists. I'm sorry to be a pain...lol. I'm not very techie at all so it might be the way I've set things up. Is there a base/ go to setting for everything? At least then I'd have somewhere to start from..lol. Thanks for you patience...

Hi, now I'm really struggling. I've set my range to 400km ish . Witch means British Isle only. Yet I'm getting lobby's full of Americans Spanish and French?.?. Also, how do you get ping rate screen?.ive been play for a few hrs now, bur I've got no host history. Thanks

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Tubbie,

Ok thats what I thought, sounds like your geo-filter is disabled or you haven't selected a device/service. Do you have time to enter the chat and I can help you quicker.

The host history is for PC games only, to get the ping on console games you need to click a circle then a dialog below called "Host Descriptor" will appear. You then just select ping and a graph should appear. 

Archived