NIGHTHAWK DUMA OS

velloonythedeity

If you are mad about the r1 not having the update right away, don't be. 

because the duma os on the nighthawk is missing so many little key features. I'm actually sending my's back. 

Like what?

• Administrators

If you are mad about the r1 not having the update right away, don't be. 

because the duma os on the nighthawk is missing so many little key features. I'm actually sending my's back. 

no profile import etc. the list is way too long.

I cant even get in the interface no more.

Hi velloony, It is not supposed to be a carbon copy of the R1. This is an entirely rewritten system that will allow many new features than the R1 original software could have ever handled. Your favourite features will be implemented do not worry. This is just the first version of the software. As BD has already mentioned there is already a new update on the way which is much improved over the one you are on. So I would recommend holding off on returning it because we've only just hit the tip of the iceberg, there is much more to come! The development speed of DumaOS compared to the R1 is much faster, we can introduce a feature like profiles very quickly and in fact the new update coming has profiles for the Geo-Filter.

If you cannot get on to the interface then please email us (I have PM'd you our email addresses) and we can do a 1 on 1 today. 

• Administrators

could of told ya that lol

How could you? You don't know the featureset. XR500 has far more features than the r1 and far better features, also it's a nighthawk with absolutely beast hardware underneath the hood.

no profile import etc. the list is way too long.

lol, just crazy fam.

I cant even get in the interface no more.

I've dm'd you please check  :)

Firstly the new upgrade has profiles for the Geo-Filter. But otherwise there is no need. We had profiles in the r1 for two main reasons:

1. It helped users achieve full speeds by disabling some features because the hardware couldn't achieve it.

2. It helped people turn on and off QoS before and after gaming respectively.

Issue 1 is not a problem, full blown qualcomm hardware acceleration means all features work at full speed on any connection. Even with pppoe over ac wifi you can hit full speed with 0% CPU usage and therefore 0 software jitter.

Issue 2 is fixed by our new auto qos feature.

I'd highly recommended upgrading to new firmware as it helps with usability. I've also dm'd you my email address. Please contact me for any questions you have or if I can help with 1 on 1.

Xr500 is more feature rich than the r1 by a long way.

PS I've written this from the phone and I accidentally edited your message when trying to quote you. I've undone it now.

Hi velloony, It is not supposed to be a carbon copy of the R1. This is an entirely rewritten system that will allow many new features than the R1 original software could have ever handled. Your favourite features will be implemented do not worry. This is just the first version of the software. As BD has already mentioned there is already a new update on the way which is much improved over the one you are on. So I would recommend holding off on returning it because we've only just hit the tip of the iceberg, there is much more to come! The development speed of DumaOS compared to the R1 is much faster, we can introduce a feature like profiles very quickly and in fact the new update coming has profiles for the Geo-Filter.

If you cannot get on to the interface then please email us (I have PM'd you our email addresses) and we can do a 1 on 1 today. 

I had to reset my router, I can get in the interface now.

How could you? You don't know the featureset. XR500 has far more features than the r1 and far better features, also it's a nighthawk with absolutely beast hardware underneath the hood.

I've dm'd you please check  :)

Firstly the new upgrade has profiles for the Geo-Filter. But otherwise there is no need. We had profiles in the r1 for two main reasons:

1. It helped users achieve full speeds by disabling some features because the hardware couldn't achieve it.

2. It helped people turn on and off QoS before and after gaming respectively.

Issue 1 is not a problem, full blown qualcomm hardware acceleration means all features work at full speed on any connection. Even with pppoe over ac wifi you can hit full speed with 0% CPU usage and therefore 0 software jitter.

Issue 2 is fixed by our new auto qos feature.

I'd highly recommended upgrading to new firmware as it helps with usability. I've also dm'd you my email address. Please contact me for any questions you have or if I can help with 1 on 1.

Xr500 is more feature rich than the r1 by a long way.

PS I've written this from the phone and I accidentally edited your message when trying to quote you. I've undone it now.

The profile feature is very well needed. I don't care about the hardware, if it's missing all the features from the original r1. you cant zoom in on the map like the old r1, and I like making profiles so me and my friends can find the sweet spots to play the game together with no lag issues because we both have dumas but now that's gone.

• Administrators

Ok thanks for the feedback. We can easily get greater zoom back into DumaOS. Will make sure that is in next upgrade.

For sharing profiles you can use NETGEAR's backup/restore feature which allows you to share entire router settings. I think I may add ability to export/import individual r-app settings. Would that be what you wanted in terms of sharing with friends?

• Administrators

Is the NIghthaw router going to receive Ani-Jitter spike feature like the R1?  If yes I might upgrade or just wait until it receive it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure we'll be adding a dampening feature (What you guys call anti-jitter). But I can't fully commit because I haven't tested it on a NH yet but I'm over 95% sure. We tested it on R1 ages ago so we can commit to that.

Also the NH has full hardware acceleration(HAL) therefore zero software jitter. Which will make a big difference to your jitter :). Unfortunately the R1 will always have software jitter as it doesn't have HAL.

Yeah I'm pretty sure we'll be adding a dampening feature (What you guys call anti-jitter). But I can't fully commit because I haven't tested it on a NH yet but I'm over 95% sure. We tested it on R1 ages ago so we can commit to that.

Also the NH has full hardware acceleration(HAL) therefore zero software jitter. Which will make a big difference to your jitter :). Unfortunately the R1 will always have software jitter as it doesn't have HAL.

how high would you estimate the software jiiter is on the R1?

1-3ms?

just curious, if Anti-Spike ever comes out the software jitter most likely cannot be eliminated by it

• Administrators

1-3ms?

just curious, if Anti-Spike ever comes out the software jitter most likely cannot be eliminated by it

Iain is on a plane right now so a more detailed answer will be provided by him when available.

As far as I can tell software jitter wouldn't be something that couldn't be eliminated by the R1 based on what Iain has said above.

• Administrators

1-3ms?

It's hard to tell how much jitter it introduces, depends what the machine is doing at the time.

Nope cannot eliminate software jitter. Can reduce it by having a faster machine or more cores. Hardware eliminates it though as it doesn't even touch the kernel gets processed on the data plane.