Cannot Receive/Send Picture Messages through the R1 (Reopened?)

This past week I gave the Netduma a rest and set up my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 as my main router. Just to see if there was any difference in internet and gaming performance.

One of the first things I noticed was I could send MMS messages over WiFi without issue. Also wireless speeds were improved vs having the Nighthawk as an AP.

As expected, gameplay was poor compared to the Netduma, so I set up the Netduma again and am using the Nighthawk as an AP. Once again I can no longer send/receive MMS messages over WiFi (Apple to Android).

As mentioned in my previous thread, this appears to be a bug with the Netduma? Unfortunately I thought I had the answer to the issue, but it looks like the problem lies with the Netduma in some fashion.

My current plan is 150 down and 10 up so disabling Turbo mode would be a bad idea correct? Also what does Turbo/Super Turbo mode do exactly?

• Administrators

Disabling turbo mode should resolve the issue. You may or may not lose some speed with turbo on. Ensure the following to get max speeds without turbo on and see what speeds you get:

• Reactive Algorithm
  • 100% anti-flood
  • Share excess enabled
  • Reset device prioritisation & apply
  • Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
  • Disable deep packet in misc
  • Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
  • Do a wired speed test from a PC

Turbo & Super turbo allows you to get higher speeds if you have them.

Already tried that Mod Box. Did not change anything. I'll try turning off Turbo mode and see what happens.

Just curious what the bug would be. I did not have any issues when the Nighthawk was set up as the acting router and the Netduma was disconnected. 

Already tried that Mod Box. Did not change anything. I'll try turning off Turbo mode and see what happens.

Just curious what the bug would be. I did not have any issues when the Nighthawk was set up as the acting router and the Netduma was disconnected. 

The way turbo mode handles certain packets. Wifi calling is one of the packets that doesn't work... If you're on wifi and send a picture it has nothing to do with your wifi unless you have wifi calling turned on. So either you didn't turn it off, or it was turned off on your end but your carrier didn't turn it off yet so your MMS messages were still being routed through wifi not cellular.

I turned Turbo mode off, but still could not send a MMS message. 

Mod Box,

I did turn WiFi calling back on after the tests last week. I'll give it a go with Turbo Mode off and WiFi calling off and see if that works.

So the bug lies with "Turbo Mode" on the NetDuma

The way turbo mode handles certain packets. Wifi calling is one of the packets that doesn't work... If you're on wifi and send a picture it has nothing to do with your wifi unless you have wifi calling turned on. So either you didn't turn it off, or it was turned off on your end but your carrier didn't turn it off yet so your MMS messages were still being routed through wifi not cellular.

So you're saying the bug lies with "Turbo Mode" on the Netduma? I have a buddy with a Netduma and he has no problems with his Android phone sending MMS messages. Our setups are identical. 

Thanks Fraser. Looks like when pre-emptive is ticked it sends the MMS messages without issue. Turning WiFi calling off and Turbo mode off with Reactive ticked would cause the MMS message to fail to send. As long as Pre-emptive is ticked, they send without issue. 

The only issue now is, with Pre-emptive ticked, my speeds are junk. I'm lucky to break 30 meg down and 8 meg up. My plan is 150/10. What is it about having Reactive ticked that interferes with the MMS messages?

Turning WiFi calling off and Turbo mode off with Reactive ticked would cause the MMS message to fail to send.

And because of that, it means even though you turned off wifi calling it's still trying to send your cellular data through wifi so it's not really off. Sounds like a network issue with your device or carrier. (Besides being a bug with the Netduma)

I assume iPhone since you said something about it before... Go into settings and reset your network settings. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network settings. If that doesn't work, then it's an issue on your carrier's end, since when you enable wifi calling they install a special profile to your device that re-routes your cell data through wifi.

This is why I keep wifi calling off. It's very unreliable and half the time my phone wouldn't work, but when it does work it's a nice thing to have.

So I reset the network settings and as well as my iPhone. Left the Netduma as it was (Reactive, Turbo Mode On, WiFi Calling On) and it sent the first few messages without issue over WiFi. However, the next day it failed to send any MMS messages again. As of now it still will not send MMS messages even with WiFi calling off. 

Does the Netduma have some kind of incompatibility issue with Apple iPhones? My phone has no issues sending MMS messages over WiFi with my Netgear R7000, as well as my parents TP-Link Router. Is it possible that my Netduma may be defective?

So I reset the network settings and as well as my iPhone. Left the Netduma as it was (Reactive, Turbo Mode On, WiFi Calling On) and it sent the first few messages without issue over WiFi. However, the next day it failed to send any MMS messages again. As of now it still will not send MMS messages even with WiFi calling off. 

Does the Netduma have some kind of incompatibility issue with Apple iPhones? My phone has no issues sending MMS messages over WiFi with my Netgear R7000, as well as my parents TP-Link Router. Is it possible that my Netduma may be defective?

Okay I'll try once more...

There is a bug with the Netduma's algorithm that blocks certain things. Apparently wifi calling for your carrier is one of those things. It is not defective. They know about this bug and are working on it.

HOWEVER, if you have wifi calling turned off - and your messages are still not sending, then wifi calling is not really off and that is a bug with your phone or carrier. Does that make sense to you?

Okay I'll try once more...

There is a bug with the Netduma's algorithm that blocks certain things. Apparently wifi calling for your carrier is one of those things. It is not defective. They know about this bug and are working on it.

HOWEVER, if you have wifi calling turned off - and your messages are still not sending, then wifi calling is not really off and that is a bug with your phone or carrier. Does that make sense to you?

Makes sense. Thanks guys for the help. 

Hopefully DumaOS is released sometime this year to resolve these bugs.

• 9 months later...

So I had this issue also. After a little trial and error testing, I found that the wifi calling feature on the iPhone is getting stuck on without any indication of it being on.

The best way I found to ensure wifi calling is off and have the ability to send MMS when connected to the Duma is to do the following;

1. Ensure wifi calling is disabled

2. Connect to your Wifi.

3. Disable your wifi in the settings menu not the quick menu that you drag up (important!! This method didn't work).

4. Enable wifi calling, wait ~10 seconds.

5. Disable wifi calling

6. Reconnect to your wifi.

Unfortunately you have to do this everytime you enable wifi calling

This was done on an iPhone 6S plus with software IOS 11.3

• Netduma Staff

So I had this issue also. After a little trial and error testing, I found that the wifi calling feature on the iPhone is getting stuck on without any indication of it being on.

The best way I found to ensure wifi calling is off and have the ability to send MMS when connected to the Duma is to do the following;

2. Connect to your Wifi.

3. Disable your wifi in the settings menu not the quick menu that you drag up (important!! This method didn't work).

5. Disable wifi calling

That sounds like a great suggestion, thanks for sharing!

2. Connect to your Wifi.

5. Disable wifi calling

Is this with the Reactive Algorithm ticked or Pre-Emptive? 

• 2 weeks later...

2. Connect to your Wifi.

5. Disable wifi calling

Thanks RT Turn Clyde!!

So far so good. Following your steps I have not had issues sending MMS messages. Seems you and Modbox were correct that WiFi calling was not being truly disabled!

Sure is nice not having to deal with that hassle anymore. Cheers Mate!

Thanks RT Turn Clyde!!

So far so good. Following your steps I have not had issues sending MMS messages. Seems you and Modbox were correct that WiFi calling was not being truly disabled!

Sure is nice not having to deal with that hassle anymore. Cheers Mate!

You're welcome

Sorry it took me almost a year to find a solution!! I had gone into "waiting for DumaOS" mode because I thought the algorithm bug was for just MMS since curiously my wifi calling worked but not MMS. Casually browsing the forum led me to MoDs reply to you and prompted me to research wifi calling being stuck on. While I found a few mobile phone company forum posts of people complaining about wifi calling being stuck on, generally their indicators for the wifi calling would still be on also. So we definatley had a unique situation. 

I'm not sure how dynamic the uPnP on the netduma is at opening and closing ports, so certain ports might be remaining closed or open. But I'm just speculating at this point.

Hopefully we'll get the new DumaOS soon...